Author Topic: New to Scotland and not sure where to look  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
New to Scotland and not sure where to look
« on: Saturday 10 February 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
After a conversation with another Rootschatter researching the same family from Newcastle she mentioned a sibling to the family I was researching,I had not been aware of this child,but from a family letter it stated Joseph had gone to Scotland,
Joseph Anthony was born in 1911 to Elizabeth Gibson and Joseph Spoors,
Elizabeth died in 1917 whilst her husband was away in Italy,the children were taken soon after into care,
so I thought I would have a look around and found on Scotlands people what may  possibly be his death
Recorded under James Spoors as well as Joseph Anthony,mother Gibson,aged 68 years Newington,reference 746/628,1979

also a marriage  at Martha St Glasgow,1979,again under Joseph Anthony and James Spoors,to a Lorna Galloway/Keenan,which is the year he dies,
I have searched Glasgow registers on A* can anyone give me some pointers to where I should be looking please,can I access any wills or other information for this period online
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: New to Scotland and not sure where to look
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
The more modern records are not available online through SP but you can send for a copy of the Registration by clicking on the "order" button - the death certificate should provide you with details of his parents if they were known to the informant. The same goes for the wedding details.
(an alternative is to make a post for a Rootschatter going to one of the SP Centres who could do a look up for you)

Unfortunately with the older records regarding children going into care - if this happened in Scotland you would need to consult the local archives to see if there was a poor law application or an entry made on their behalf.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the tip,for the SP centres,if all else fails I will order the death certificate
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 18 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked at the index entries for the marriage showing the names there and it would seem to appear that in this case. James Spoors also known as Joseph Anthony Galloway married Lorna Keenan also known as Lorna Galloway in 1979. Although without looking at the actual document it is difficult to untangle this little web

SPOORS JAMES    GALLOWAY JOSEPH ANTHONY  1979  601/ 139  Glasgow, Martha St

SPOORS JAMES  GALLOWAY LONA  1979 601/ 139  Glasgow, Martha St

SPOORS JAMES  KEENAN LONA  1979  601/ 139  Glasgow, Martha St

SPOORS JAMES   GALLOWAY LORNA  1979  601/ 139  Glasgow, Martha St

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
I agree it's a bit of a tangle to work that one out,
Was he the Joseph Anthony Spoors or was he James Spoors,or indeed looking at  it again did he go by the name of Joseph Anthony Galloway

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I have searched Glasgow registers on A* can anyone give me some pointers to where I should be looking please,can I access any wills or other information for this period online
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

The Glasgow Parochial Board (Poor Law) records are in the City of Glasgow Archives in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. They have a full index but it's not available online. They should be able to tell you fairly quickly if they have anything relating to the children. See
https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/archives/pages/home.aspx

Wills to 1925-ish are available at Scotland's People. There's a useful guide to searching for later wills on the National Records of Scotland web site but it seems to be down at the moment.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I agree it's a bit of a tangle to work that one out,
Was he the Joseph Anthony Spoors or was he James Spoors,or indeed looking at  it again did he go by the name of Joseph Anthony Galloway

On balance I believe it is more likely he is James Spoors who lived as Joseph Anthony Galloway  it is also possible that he lived with Lorna Keenan as man and wife and she was known as Lorna Galloway.
In Scottish legal records and documents a persons birth name takes precedence with any name they may be known as or have adopted added  with either “or” or “also known as” used to show the additions. This is most common with married women - in Scotland Mary Brown marries Fred Jones and becomes Mary Brown or Jones.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 February 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for coming to my assistance,it's most appreciated

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 February 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
it is also possible that he lived with Lorna Keenan as man and wife and she was known as Lorna Galloway.
Or Lorna may have been widowed or divorced.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.