Author Topic: Flynn family  (Read 1905 times)

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flynn family
« on: Saturday 10 February 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, desperately trying to find parents for my grt grt grandfather Patrick Flynn. I thought he was born Wexford, but now wondering if he is Wexford or Waterford, there is much confusion over this. The only date I have which is definite for Patrick is August 1835 when he marries Ann Carty in the Franciscan Friary Wexford. From death and census's I estimate his birth about 1805-7 I have no idea prior to his marriage whether he was a mariner or anything else, but estimate he was about 30 at time of marriage. Between the birth of his 3rd child June 1840 and the census June 1841 in Liverpool he moved to Liverpool and is found running a tavern always thought it was the Wexford Tavern but now find it might have been the three dolphins. Everything seems to be getting more and more confusing. I even thought if the tavern was the 3 dolphins this might strengthen the case for him being a mariner HELP any help much appreciated.xx

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Flynn family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, desperately trying to find parents for my grt grt grandfather Patrick Flynn. I thought he was born Wexford, but now wondering if he is Wexford or Waterford, there is much confusion over this. The only date I have which is definite for Patrick is August 1835 when he marries Ann Carty in the Franciscan Friary Wexford. 

Have you a Link to it?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi only info I have is the records I took from the church when I visited Wexford almost 20 years ago, other wise it is recorded on my ancestry tree xx

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Why do you think Patrick was a Mariner?

Debra  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:08 GMT (UK) »
No need to start a new topic- here's the previous one on Wexford board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=772836.msg6258599#msg6258599

It seems as though you need to first concentrate on English resources such as census records to determine Patrick's occupation and exactly where he lived, etc. rather than guessing things like which tavern he might have run, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry seem to have confused you. I know Patrick and Ann married in August 1835 Wexford Fact. I know they had 3 children born/ bapt Wexford and the dates and sponsors, fact. I know that they came some time during June 1840 and June 1841 to Liverpool fact, where they ran the Wexford Tavern possibly called the Three Dolphins. I know the sign above the door were 3 dolphins and although I have always been led to believe from research the tavern was Wexford Tavern, I am now thinking from Liverpool street directories it might have been 3 dolphins Fact Their  4th child was born / bapt Liverpool 1843 fact and I can trace to present day. It is going backwards that is driving me nuts xxxxxxx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 18 19:42 GMT (UK) »
You haven't confused me.

You need to see what each possible census records for Patrick's age/place of birth, residence/occupation. Then you need to do same for each of the children born in Ireland. This should help find name of 'tavern' and might give a more exact location than just the county of birth (which you seem unsure of at present). You should also check local newspapers to see if there are any mentions of the family- might not help get you farther back but could expand on their lives.

You may already have done all of the above but since you haven't posted those details it's impossible to know.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
The three dolphins on the tavern sign strongly or conclusively support the link to Wexford. The three dolphins are the arms of the Wexford Town Corporation,  and were for a time used instead of the arms of the town itself. i.e. the tavern being the Wexford tavern is consistent with having a sign of three dolphins which was at the time used as the arms of Wexford.
See illustration at
http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/W/Wexford-Town-Forth-Wexford.php
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area