Author Topic: Flynn family  (Read 1906 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Flynn family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 February 18 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, desperately trying to find parents for my grt grt grandfather Patrick Flynn. I thought he was born Wexford, but now wondering if he is Wexford or Waterford, there is much confusion over this.

Where does Waterford come into this, and the much confusion? I can't see anything further about Waterford in your posts?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 February 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Flynn, baptised Taghmon 15/3/1805, parents James Flynn and Elizabeth Whelan.
No way to know if he was yours, of course, just matches name and appropriate date and rough location.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Point to remember - taverns were known as much by their signs, as by their names. Most people were illiterate, and unable to read the name on the tavern, so people went by and looked for the signs. So, you could look for the Wexford tavern, at the sign of the three dolphins. Which is all consistent.

Can you give us the names of the children, in birth order? Thanks.

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.
Someone has asked the names in order of Patrick and Anns children, they are Jane, Robert, Margaret and then John, xxxx any help with this much appreciated. All 3 names except Jane seem to have come from Ann's side the Carty's assuming we have the right parents for her, Elizabeth Hughes and Thomas Carty, if they are 100% correct then I an=m comfortable that we can go back a few more generations on the Carty side. Have been looking at sponsors / witnesses at events and trying to find some pattern of clues. Again help much appreciated, thanks xx

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the James and Elizabeth Whelan info, have spotted this and looking at sponsors etc. As you say dates fit xx Was Jane the female version of James xx

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 February 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Waterford only comes into the equation via vague childhood memories of stories from my grandmother, who always used to say the family were from Wexford and Waterford. However I do realise the connection might be nothing more than a relative, they were seafarers on her side of the family Cummins, sailing from Wexford / Waterford. Sadly I am the oldest in the family and I have no one left to ask any questions, xxxx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 February 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you already checked all possible census records (including the children born in Ireland) as I asked earlier?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline supermags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 February 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes all census's from 1841 onwards xxxx. The children Jane married Thomas Walker they had 3 children Jane died in infancy, John and Margaret I loose track on them all after 1881. Robert went to US died Seattle details we have Margaret married Daniel Desmond she died consumption 1872 they had a daughter Ann who I can take to present day, and John my grt grandfather who again I can trace to present xx