Author Topic: Y-DNA test finds long-lost GF  (Read 557 times)

Offline msfarrar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Eric Hatfield

• RootsChat Member
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Y-DNA test finds long-lost GF
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 18 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for sharing that link - I wouldn't have wanted to miss it.

Researching the male line has that big advantage - that the Y-DNA test gives surname, which give a strong indication of ancestry. I am researching my female line, and have done the mtDNA test, but the surnames are not much of an indicator in this case. Maybe I'll get a result like that man did one day, I can only hope so, but I think it will take longer.

Thanks again.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline msfarrar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Y-DNA test finds long-lost GF
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 18 04:16 GMT (UK) »
You're very welcome  :)

I've just order a Y-DNA test as I don't know my paternal GF  ..
That , coupled with contacting and cross-referencing shared links with DNA matched 3-4-5th cousins and a very large slice of luck  might just help me break through a brick wall..
We shall see    ...