Author Topic: Scotland’s genetic history to be unlocked by new national DNA project  (Read 1529 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotland’s genetic history to be unlocked by new national DNA project
« on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
https://www.livingdna.com/en-nz/press-releases/303/scotland-s-genetic-history-be-unlocked-new-national-dna-project

"16th November 2017 - Somerset, UK
Local Scots encouraged to share their past roots with joint research project from Living DNA and the University of Strathclyde.
Researchers from Living DNA, Europe’s leading consumer genetics company, have launched a nationwide appeal to collect DNA samples from 3,000 Scottish people whose grandparents were born before 1935 and all lived within 50 miles (80km) of each other.

The project is now calling for qualifying participants from the following 20 regions of Scotland: Aberdeenshire, Angus and Dundee, Perth and Kinross, Fife and Clackmannanshire, Falkirk and Lothians, Scottish Borders, Dumfries and Galloway, Ayrshire and Renfrewshire, Glasgow City, Dunbartonshire and Lanarkshire, Stirling, Argyll, Bute & Isle of Arran, Western Isles Council, Moray, Orkney Islands, Shetland Islands, Skye, Caithness, Sutherland and Ross Inverness.

The more diverse regions are of particular interest, with the team mostly keen to explore areas where there is evidence of settlers speaking Norse, Gaelic and Scots, such as The County of Caithness in Northern Scotland which is known to have been home to some very early inhabitants....."

"Those who qualify to take part in the project will receive a significant discount and over time will be able to see a highly-detailed view of their Scottish ancestry"

To find out more information and join the project, interested participants should visit www.livingdna.com/one-family/research.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland’s genetic history to be unlocked by new national DNA project
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
If they really wish to know where we come from for genetic research, why are they charging £109 plus delivery?
If they wish the answers, they should be paying for it. >:( >:(

Malky

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 18 23:52 GMT (UK) »
 I clicked on this because its an interesting subject and wondered if it had relevance to my own DNA search

But like Malky I am disappointed that in a ''project'' like this there is a cost that seems extreme. If they wanted this for any true research purposes or for scientific purposes then most , if not all , of the costs would be absorbed

Just seems a new way to encourage people to buy a product
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
As an Australian, I find it most interesting that there is nowhere for Australians to input their data.

There are many in Australia from all the areas mentioned on the website, so why not ???

Not that I have any wish to be "profiled" by a private company in such a manner.

AC

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Previously Living DNA provided a discount for people taking part in their projects.  They did when they advertised the one for Germany last year.

I see the price has gone back up again, had been £99 + postage for some time.

Edit - I see press release was from November, on the UK site anyway.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
The price doesn't sound right.  Maybe a link isn't working.  The press release says participants get a significant discount.

109 pounds sounds like the undiscounted price.

They're quoting $169 NZ plus postage.

I came across this because quite a good DNA match (a single segment of over 40cM) has popped up with a man with the same surname as one of my grandmothers.  He also matches the 2C3R of my grandmother (a descendant of her paternal grandfather's brother).

The match believes his paternal line is from Skye so I Googled Skye DNA and this popped up.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 00:04 GMT (UK) »
As an Australian, I find it most interesting that there is nowhere for Australians to input their data.

There are many in Australia from all the areas mentioned on the website, so why not ???

Not that I have any wish to be "profiled" by a private company in such a manner.

AC

Do you think that all your grandparents were from within 50 miles of each other in Scotland?

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 18 03:25 GMT (UK) »
They were not from Scotland, paternal gparents were from opposite sides of northern England, and maternal gparents were from Essex and Surrey

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 18 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Well you don't qualify then AC!   :P ;D ;D

This is Scottish research!   ;) ;)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.