Author Topic: kilpatrick family  (Read 4133 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: kilpatrick family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monical
Well I have been able to find some of the loose ends that I didn't have before,its all about turning over the correct rock but still not much further with finding Hugh's death....

...The closest I have come for the death of his son James born 1899 is from CWGC in Lochwinnoch  Cem -Pvt J Kilpatrick died 25sept 1918 age 19 3rd Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders son of Hugh Kilpatrick 30 High St Lochwinnoch,the numbers and names are pretty close but on the margin of the Graves Registration Report by CWGC it states "father next of kin has gone to America" so I don't know if I have the correct family

Huey, you may have found your clue as to possible death for Hugh there. Possibility it was outside of the UK (maybe USA?). He certainly doesn't seem to show on Scotlands People does he.

Just found this reference for a Hugh Kilpatrick in an index for Detroit Border Crossings:

Hugh Kilpatrick, 50 and Scottish. Born c. 1876 in Lochwinch (as indexed) Scotland.
Arrival Details:    29 Mar 1926 at Detroit, Michigan, USA
Wife Isablle back in Scotland, address 30 High Street, Lochwinnoch.

A wood carver by occupation, he also shows as having been resident in Ontario Canada and arriving in the US to look for work.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 February 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a shipping manifest entry for him leaving from Glasgow for Quebec Canada on 6 July 1923. His address is as per the Detroit crossing in 1926, 30 High Street Lochwinnoch. Similarly, also showing as a wood carver by trade and 46 years old that year.

His Canadian arrival papers confirm these details. States he had never been in Canada before. Claims he wants to live in Canada permanently and gives the address of a friend, a James Stewart in Toronto, as his Canadian contact.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 February 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Just found Hugh's death in Ontario in 1945. He died of a coronary thrombosis. His brother Thomas reported his death. He is showing as living there for 20 years. I can't see any returns to the UK for him so far. Looking likely that he and Isabella may have lived apart all those years...

His parents' details are given brother Thomas correctely, James Kilpatrick and Agnes Martin.

A clip below:

Offline huey1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Wow !!! What a great find it looks like we have the correct Hugh, his marriage cert has him as a carver and the address on High St fits with the info on his son James CWGC death , the only thing I see different is his birth 20apr1876 should read 29dec1876 ,I would guess that Thomas would have  been in Canada also if he reported the death ? Hugh crossing at Detroit would have been from Windsor Ontario.
May I ask where you found the info on the Detroit Crossing and the shipping manifest maybe I can find more members of the family , would there be a date for his death in 1945 I don't see it on the form ?
again thanks very much for your help ,the journey continues

Huey

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I will send you more details via PM, huey  :)

Monica

Offline huey1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monical
Have heard from CWGC about Pvt James Kilpatrick but they have no further details on his death, they suggest that because he was buried in Lochwinnoch his death would have been in the UK ,bodies of those killed in War were not brought back ,would you know of a local paper that may have an obit?
Still having trouble finding some info on the brothers and sisters of Hugh and Thomas and i'am thinking they may have gone to Canada also.
James b07mar1883 Johnstone
Helen b13mqr1885 Lochwinnoch
William b27jun1887      "
Sarah Ann b27nov1889  "
Thomas b14feb1892      "
I found a record for a Helen going to Halifax aboard the Laurentic Nov1912 age 27 and also one for Sarah Ann also going to Halifax aboard the Parisian Mar1913 age 23 with a notation "going to married sister "  maybe Helen !!!!
I see Sarah and Thomas along with younger bros David ,Martin and Parents James and Agnes on the 1901 census Hugh is already married in 1898 I may have found William as a visitor with the Love family in 1901 its the only William in Lochwinnoch, then only David and Martin are with the parents in 1911 but I have been unable to come  up with any deaths or marriages on SP ,will keep on going thanks for any additional help
Hughie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 March 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »

The closest I have come for the death of his son James born 1899 is from CWGC in Lochwinnoch  Cem -Pvt J Kilpatrick died 25sept 1918 age 19 3rd Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders son of Hugh Kilpatrick 30 High St Lochwinnoch,the numbers and names are pretty close but on the margin of the Graves Registration Report by CWGC it states "father next of kin has gone to America" so I don't know if I have the correct family

Huey, I think the Lochwinnoch Cemetery ref is a commemoration to the fallen of the area www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results/?cemetery=LOCHWINNOCH%20CEMETERY

From the database 'Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects', there is this index entry for him:

James Kilpatrick
Death Date: 25 Sep 1918
Death Place: Central Military Hospt Cork
Regiment: Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders)
Regimental Number: S/29322

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 March 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »

I found a record for a Helen going to Halifax aboard the Laurentic Nov1912 age 27 and also one for Sarah Ann also going to Halifax aboard the Parisian Mar1913 age 23 with a notation "going to married sister "  maybe Helen !!!!

There is an entry for Helen's arrival in Canada in 1920. She shows as still single and gives her married sister as her contact. Not sure on the first letter for her first name. Maybe S?  She gives her mother Agnes' details back in Lochwinnoch as her Scottish contact.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 March 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Brother Thomas' Canadian arrival card is more helpful  :) Married sister in Montreal looks to be Sarah, showing as Mrs Sarah Hirst on Thomas' card: