Author Topic: Middlemiss marriages !!!  (Read 392 times)

Offline VictoriaJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Middlemiss marriages !!!
« on: Sunday 11 February 18 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys
I'm having a few problems finding some marriages, and don't know if its me, but have looked in all the expected places inc. Scotlands People, family search etc !  I am hoping I am doing something stupid and someone out there can put me right !!!

1. The death record of my 3 x grt grandfather John Middlemiss (b. 1800 Gordon & d. 1861 Gordon) states his parents names as Walter Middlemiss and Margaret Sinclair. Whilst I have his siblings details, and his elder brother Robert, who was born 1799 in Gordon confirms parental names, I cannot find a marriage for Walter and Margaret.

2. The death record of Johns father, Walter Middlemiss (sometimes Youlter b. 1773 in Fogo & died in 1862 in Gordon), names his parents as Walter Middlemiss and Margaret Dodds.  Again, I can't find a marriage between a Walter or Youlter Middlemiss (inc. all the varients) and a Margaret Dodds.  I have found a possible sibling Jean Middlemiss, also born in Fogo in 1780.  Familysearch has an entry which states the marriage took place in 1772 in  Whinkerstones, this is a "contributed" entry with no source attached or supporting evidence, so who knows if its right !!!

.....so, why is it baptisms and deaths are not an issue for me but marriages are ?  Can someone help ?

Also, finding it really frustrating that sometimes parents are not named on the marriage record !!!

Cheers !!
North shields, tynemouth, prudhoe, west wylam, urchfont, isle of thanet

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Middlemiss marriages !!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
you will need to find out if they were non-conformist - if so, you will have to search the church records, because they are not recorded in OPR

Looks like they probably are

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.