Author Topic: Where was the Royal Horse Artillery between 1808 and 1835?  (Read 1212 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Where was the Royal Horse Artillery between 1808 and 1835?
« on: Sunday 11 February 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to pin down the baptism of Alexander Wyper, son of William Wyper and Jean Edwards. Full details in this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786211

His father was a gunner in the RHA, and it would be very helpful if someone could point me towards information about where this regiment was and when between these dates, and in particular around 1820-1822.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where was the Royal Horse Artillery between 1808 and 1835?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Not straightforward unfortunately.  In that period the RHA was organised in troops, there were for example eight troops at Waterloo (others elsewhere), each lettered and often referred to by their  commander's name.  When not at war, they weren't necessarily stationed in the same place.  Need to know therefore what troop he was in or, alternatively, tie down the date and places you are looking at more closely to see if that produces a clue.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping it might be possible to tie down the dates and places based on where they were stationed rather than the other way round :)

When William Wipper was finally discharged, the colonel was Sir H Vivian Bart. However all I have been able to find so far is nine pages relating to his discharge on medical grounds in 1835. No actual record of where he served. There are some further documents at Kew but they have not been digitised.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Just adding - from WO 97 (discussed on other thread)

Enlisted 1 July1808 - 4 Sept 1816
Then 1 Jan 1818 to 7 July 1835

6 months at Watcheren and the remainder in England and Ireland

Occupation given as Servant. I found a possible  William of correct age in Portman Square on the 1841 - on other computer. Can provide if it's of any help.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Occupation given as Servant. I found a possible  William of correct age in Portman Square on the 1841 - on other computer. Can provide if it's of any help.
Thank you, yes, I also have that.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Walcheren 1809 helps - the only troop that served there was H Ramsay's Troop so that ties up July to December 1809.

If he stayed with Ramsays then his troop was at Waterloo.

In 1818 it seems he joined A (Ross's) or C Troop at Woolwich WO 69/6/414 so there is another snapshot but a choice of two troops.

Is there nothing in the discharge papers that gives a clue to his troops(s) - a letter or a commanders name? (Sir Hussey Vivian (bart from 1828) was Master General of the Ordnance from 1835-41 so was responsible for the direction of the RHA in that period).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 February 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I see a J W Tobin

add - Col McArthey   or M Arthley ??

Signatures not very legible!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
 A snip

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 February 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Just found a Capt and Adjut H Pester