Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help identifying this bridge please.  (Read 8078 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying this bridge please.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 February 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »

Poor old Dr Beeching gets the blame all the time but something like 60% of closed branch lines took place before his closures. Some were later than that as well.

John915

You're right, he always gets the flack but really many branch lines were running at a massive loss.

I've sent for two books on lost railways in Sussex from the library, these might give a clue if there is a station just down off to the right beyond the bridge, worth a try.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:47 GMT (UK) »

I've sent for two books on lost railways in Sussex from the library, these might give a clue if there is a station just down off to the right beyond the bridge, worth a try.

Thank you artifis for your interest in this one and for going the extra mile for me with the books ;)

Thank you also to everyone else for your replies and help.  I feel confident we will crack this one eventually, all input gratefully received :D
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:48 GMT (UK) »
It's interesting that some are now looking at restoring some of the branch lines which were removed by the good doctor.

Malky

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 February 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I've been investigating the Steyning line, Partridge Green looks a possibility but nothing definite as yet. I see Liz wondered about West Grinstead so we're in the same area :) I'll keep looking

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 February 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I feel like I've been on a magical mystery tour of defunct railway lines in Sussex, I've followed every one I can find also all the existing lines but I can't find anything definite.

I wish the person who took the photo had taken a few more in the location to give a bigger picture.

I wonder why a seemingly 'uninteresting' view meant sufficient to someone to take the photo, make me wonder if we are missing something.

If the view was in an area which has now been built up then that would explain why it's so elusive.

Maybe the books I've reserved at the library will show some light on things, might also show a line that's no longer visible on aerial photos.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 February 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
The location is quite specific, bridge over seemingly a north-south railway line, east-west road, south to the right, ‘T’ junction or right hand bend ahead beyond the bridge, road seems to climb up to the right from the junction, retaining wall sloping down to the right beyond the bridge.  These are all specific pointers that surely some would have remained?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 February 18 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I've only just come across this, but I'm wondering whether it really is a railway bridge, and whether it is even in Sussex. This is why:

Don't most bridges over railways have a more or less level deck rather than such a pronounced arch? This looks to me more like a somewhat older river bridge. The other things that might suggest a railway (white fencing, notice) are by no means exclusive to railways. And without knowing the date, it's impossible to say whether the number of telegraph wires relates to an earlier railway connection, or to general usage at a later date, with the wires running alongside the main road on the other side of the bridge.

As for location (incidentally, I agree with the thoughts on compass alignment), I'm not Sussex born or bred, but I did once live in the Weald area for about 6-7 years, and the general style of the buildings and walls don't really ring a bell. The use of stone rather than brick, and small/low whitewashed cottages to me are far more reminiscent of other parts of the country.

Lastly, the gates on the left, and associated wall and fence, look to me like  the entrance to a churchyard (or chapel etc).

I'm afraid I don't have any definite suggestions as to location, but I'll think a bit more...
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 February 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I've blown up the photo and played around with it a bit - sharpness, contrast & brightness - and there is a faint indication that there is a flat top to the bridge with a section of level parapet wall.

I also wondered about the seemingly stone walling, all of the bridges I found in West Sussex are brick.

The idea about a cemetery on the left also seems a good possibility, was that the reason for the photo?

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 February 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again guys for your continuing searches. I just wish I had more to give you.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820