Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Help identifying this bridge please.  (Read 8053 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying this bridge please.
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
In view of John915's comment about road signs:
It would also face the oncoming traffic rather than across the rd.
with the sign on the right of the bridge, are we in fact seeing its reverse side? If so, what might a sign of that size and shape be, and could it give any clues to the location?

I believe the striped pole probably indicates it's an official traffic sign, though I could be wrong.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Ref the first photograph.  Maybe clutching at straws here - and working on the basis there is a railway line - can anyone see the gap in the fencing in front of that sign on the right?  Does the gap lead down to perhaps a railway station?  If that is the case then there seem to be two possible chimneys that could be, e.g.  a station waiting room. 

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Ref the first photograph.  Maybe clutching at straws here - and working on the basis there is a railway line - can anyone see the gap in the fencing in front of that sign on the right?  Does the gap lead down to perhaps a railway station?  If that is the case then there seem to be two possible chimneys that could be, e.g.  a station waiting room. 

Yes, I see what you mean.  It could well lead to a walkway that goes  under the bridge to access a station. Cant make out any chimneys.    Thinking of it being a station perhaps we are looking at the back and entrance is other side of bridge or maybe down the lane beside the houses?  One other thing I noticed was the striped pole on other side of that wall with no notice on it. Also between that and the other sign could the fuzzy blur be a person standing on platform waiting for a train.  Think I am maybe imagining things now ::)
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
If this was a railway it’s the sort of place you might find a village station, but a station would usually have a sign on the roadside with its name, and quite likely a board with timetables. The lack of such signage was one of the reasons (besides the shape of the bridge) why I thought it might be a river.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
If this was a railway it’s the sort of place you might find a village station, but a station would usually have a sign on the roadside with its name, and quite likely a board with timetables. The lack of such signage was one of the reasons (besides the shape of the bridge) why I thought it might be a river.

Before I posted I too thought river bridge.  Now I don't know what to think ???  And I agree with lack of signage .  The entrance on left to me doesn't say Station, church or large house yes.  To say this is driving me nuts is an understatement ;D

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Could these be photos that were sent by a relative rather than a photo they took themselves while out. More of a "look at my new house" kind of thing? the house does look very new - did any relatives move to a new house?

wrt the sign outside the house, are we looking at it from a weird angle or be bent and facing towards us, rather than a flat sign? So could it be a normal direction sign but we are only seeing part of the place names.....
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Dillybert. My grandfather was not the sort of man that family would send pictures too :P  He fell out with most of his relatives. And most of his brothers and sisters  lived within 4 miles of him anyway, and tolerated him, lol. He was what people would call a character (for character read miserable old s"".) No greys in his world only black and white.  But I loved him to bits.  The only one he ever mentioned out of many cousin's was  Leonard who lived in Kent.

Are you referring to the second pic?  I fear this may be a completely different search and I have maybe clouded the issue posting it.

It is an interesting search and I will keep at it. Sadly the last of dad's brothers  died a year ago, he was my research buddy and his recall was fantastic, although sadly his sight failed in the end.  He had a wealth of information and family ancedotes.  God Bless you Uncle Archie x x x 

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I may have missed it if already mentioned but the road sign on the left of the road is "major road ahead" like this. http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-slow-major-road-ahead-road-sign-1-48204703.html

That means I think that on the far side of the bridge is a road parallel to the river or whatever it is.

No idea about the sign further to the right, as someone said the striped pole suggests an official sign but it doesn't look like one and isn't in a likely position.

Quite possible this won't be traced.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »

Quite possible this won't be traced.

Yes I fear defeat here. But I won't give up ever, getting  help from a research friend who is also hooked on this search.

Thanks again to everyone for your interest.