Author Topic: Jane Sherwood born 1819 Newcastle Upon Tyne  (Read 4196 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Sherwood born 1819 Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 February 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I can't commit to a date when I can next get to the archives at the moment because of my work schedule and family commitments.  However, I will put this marriage on my list of 'To Do' and as soon as soon as I do get a chance (or if no one else beats me to it) I will try to look this up for you.  Possibly may not be until a couple of months.  Would this be okay?I

Best Wishes :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 February 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
inst means the same month the newspaper was printed as in the 4 inst = 4th  of Feb the newspaper was dated the 9th of Feb
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 February 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I can't commit to a date when I can next get to the archives at the moment because of my work schedule and family commitments.  However, I will put this marriage on my list of 'To Do' and as soon as soon as I do get a chance (or if no one else beats me to it) I will try to look this up for you.  Possibly may not be until a couple of months.  Would this be okay?I

Best Wishes :)

Thank you River Tyne Lass, much appreciated if you could on your next visit, absolutely no rush.
Best wishes, Christian

I’m rather intrigued by this Sherwood line, if the suggested burials given are the correct husband and family, then either the husband of Susanna, James Sherwood, or his father, appear to have been comb and toy manufacturers. I got some hint suggestions on Ancestry from the U.K. and U.S. Directories, 1680-1830 matching the dates and names, but also the Bigg Market address as well.
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 February 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
inst means the same month the newspaper was printed as in the 4 inst = 4th  of Feb the newspaper was dated the 9th of Feb
Thanks
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I did notice a WM Sherwood mentioned in Pigotts as a Comb Maker also, living in Newcastle.

1851 Census he is born c 1789 Coxwold, Yorkshire.
1841 under William Shearwood, 52, Comb Manufacturer

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I did notice a WM Sherwood mentioned in Pigotts as a Comb Maker also, living in Newcastle.

1851 Census he is born c 1789 Coxwold, Yorkshire.
1841 under William Shearwood, 52, Comb Manufacturer
Yes, I had seen this also. The Sherwood I had seen was James Sherwood, of Bigg Market. I’m not sure whether it is James Sherwood senior or junior, both of Bigg Market, but either way, they both appear to have been born in Newcastle, and earlier than this William Sherwood above. It seems quite a coincidence that another comb manufacturer called Sherwood was operating in Newcastle at the same time. I wonder if there’s a connection.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Robsons father was a tailor, address Byker Buildings. I’ve done a google search and it doesn’t come up with much for the Byker Buildings. I was wondering what they were like and if there are any old photos available anywhere. He lived there circa 1847 when his son was born.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Byker Buildings was a street of tenement housing with the Cumberland Arms at the western end. The northwestern part of the street was built by 1858, the southwestern side after 1883. These were two-storey tenements for four families, with basements to the rear providing communal washhouse, privy and coal store. The northeastern side of Byker Buildings had small gardens to the front. By the 1960s these sub-standard properties had been demolished and replaced by modern maisonettes. These in turn were demolished circa 2001.
http://twsitelines.info/SMR/7991
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Jen