Author Topic: Jane Sherwood born 1819 Newcastle Upon Tyne  (Read 4236 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Sherwood born 1819 Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I expect the Tyne and Wear Archives will have the Saint Ann marriages for 1838.  It is a shame their website is not working today for you to check for definite.  Northumberland Archives may also hold the St Ann marriage records for this period.

There is plaque on the wall of St Ann's which records that this was built in 1768 and that it ...'replaced an Ancient Chapel of Ease (Ouse) to the Church in All Saints.'
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Could this possibly be a daughter?

Newcastle Courant - Friday 9 February 1883

'Nelson Street Chapel, on the 4th inst., Jas. Smith jun., late of Felton, to Eleanor, youngest daughter of Alexander Robson, Heaton.'
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »

I have looked through the Durham Bishops transcripts for All Saints and haven’t been able to find the marriage in there.

The Durham Bishops Transcripts Online only rarely contain marriages post 1837, which is when Civil Registration began.
Post 1837 you will usually only find baptisms and burials.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 February 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I expect the Tyne and Wear Archives will have the Saint Ann marriages for 1838.  It is a shame their website is not working today for you to check for definite

It’s only the catalogue search that’s not working  :)
Their user guide for Parish Records shows that they have St Anne marriages 1843-1929.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Could this possibly be a daughter?

Newcastle Courant - Friday 9 February 1883

'Nelson Street Chapel, on the 4th inst., Jas. Smith jun., late of Felton, to Eleanor, youngest daughter of Alexander Robson, Heaton.'
Thank you, yes, I have Eleanor Robson already on my tree as the youngest daughter to Alexander Robson, married to a James Smith. She died in 1887. Is this a son then, James Smith junior b 4 Feb 1883? I’m assuming ‘on the 4th inst’ refers to that month and the date?

Thank you!
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Jane's marriage cert should give details regarding her father or possibly lack of one.

Emeltom

Thank you, I think I might have to order in!
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I expect the Tyne and Wear Archives will have the Saint Ann marriages for 1838.  It is a shame their website is not working today for you to check for definite.  Northumberland Archives may also hold the St Ann marriage records for this period.

There is plaque on the wall of St Ann's which records that this was built in 1768 and that it ...'replaced an Ancient Chapel of Ease (Ouse) to the Church in All Saints.'

Thank you - these are all physical archives aren’t they, rather than online? I’ll have to save it up for a visit up from London 😀

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »

I have looked through the Durham Bishops transcripts for All Saints and haven’t been able to find the marriage in there.

The Durham Bishops Transcripts Online only rarely contain marriages post 1837, which is when Civil Registration began.
Post 1837 you will usually only find baptisms and burials.
Thank you, I think I need to prepare a crib sheet as a guide to myself, what’s available where, from when until when etc., or find something similar online.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I expect the Tyne and Wear Archives will have the Saint Ann marriages for 1838.  It is a shame their website is not working today for you to check for definite

It’s only the catalogue search that’s not working  :)
Their user guide for Parish Records shows that they have St Anne marriages 1843-1929.

Thank you Jen, that will be on a list for my trip up sometime.