Author Topic: Jane Sherwood born 1819 Newcastle Upon Tyne  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Sherwood born 1819 Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I checked Family Search and this marriage took place at All Saints
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NK75-CHR

Double checked the film no in the catalogue and that film is definitely All Saints

Hopefully RTL will see this before she goes to the archives.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »

Thank you - these are all physical archives aren’t they, rather than online? I’ll have to save it up for a visit up from London 😀

If you are in London, the LDS Family History Centre (currently based at the National Archives in Kew) is a better bet than travelling to Newcastle.

If you check the catalogue, the All Saints registers have been digitised, but can't be viewed unless you go to an FHC and use their computers.(unless you are a church member).

Website and opening hours for the Kew FHC are here
http://londonfamilyhistory.org/visit-us/

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 February 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Boo! :)

This will certainly be of help when I eventually get to the archives which I expect will be within the next two weeks.  At least now I can go straight to the correct Church.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 17 February 18 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Let us know the outcome please :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 17 February 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I am planning to post all I find in this record.  :) I am sorry to keep Christian waiting like this - can't be helped unfortunately due to recent work hours conflicting with Archive opening hours.

However, the record will be at Tyne and Wear Archives, and thanks to Boo I can now go straight to the correct Church.  I do expect to get there within the next fortnight.  Watch this space! ;) :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 22 February 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christian,

At last I have managed to get to the Archives to find the marriage. :)  Here goes ...

This record was found on microfilm 454

All Saints
Entry: 372
December 9th 1838
Alexander Robson and Jane Sherwood
His age: Of full age
Her age: Minor
Bachelor and Spinster
His profession: Tailor
Her profession: Dressmaker
Residence for both: New Road
His Father: Alexander Robson - Cordwainer
Her Father: Left blank
After Banns
Both signed names
Witnesses: Jos. Pearson and (looks like Richd Alderson) - these two witnesses were probably Church workers as they signed on quite a few marriages.

Thanks for waiting patiently Christian - I am sorry it has taken so long!  But better late than never. :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christian,

I made a special trip on the bus for you yesterday to save you a trip up from London.  (20 mile round trip from my home) I am not going to lie - I am a bit disappointed that you have not acknowledged my look up on the main board here. 

No, I did not find the additional look up that you were interested in as someone else kept that microfilm all morning.  However, I ask myself would this have been appreciated anyway. :-\

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 23 February 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christian,

I made a special trip on the bus for you yesterday to save you a trip up from London.  (20 mile round trip from my home) I am not going to lie - I am a bit disappointed that you have not acknowledged my look up on the main board here. 

No, I did not find the additional look up that you were interested in as someone else kept that microfilm all morning.  However, I ask myself would this have been appreciated anyway. :-\

Hi River Tyne Lass

Thank you so much for the look up, and you really shouldn’t have made a special trip for it, I thought you were doing in the next couple of months when you were going there anyway.

I didn’t receive any notification from this forum post to say there had been any activity, as I normally have in the past. If you check your messages you will see that I had responded to you informing me yesterday that you were there and about to look up the record. I messaged you yesterday evening asking if you had managed to find it, as I hadn’t heard from you. I was completely unaware that you had posted the outcome in this forum, hence why I haven’t acknowledged it until I checked just now.

Apologies, but please be assured your efforts are really appreciated, especially as you made a special trip.

Thank you again, Christian

Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 24 February 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christian,

At last I have managed to get to the Archives to find the marriage. :)  Here goes ...

This record was found on microfilm 454

All Saints
Entry: 372
December 9th 1838
Alexander Robson and Jane Sherwood
His age: Of full age
Her age: Minor
Bachelor and Spinster
His profession: Tailor
Her profession: Dressmaker
Residence for both: New Road
His Father: Alexander Robson - Cordwainer
Her Father: Left blank
After Banns
Both signed names
Witnesses: Jos. Pearson and (looks like Richd Alderson) - these two witnesses were probably Church workers as they signed on quite a few marriages.

Thanks for waiting patiently Christian - I am sorry it has taken so long!  But better late than never. :)
It’s interesting that Jane Sherwood is down as a minor. I have her baptism as Oct 1819, which would make her 19 when she married Alexander. Would this be classed as a ‘minor’. Alexander was of ‘full age’ and was 21.
She was recorded as a dressmaker, he was a tailor and his father a cordwainer, so it seems they likely worked together.
Shame there was no father listed for her.
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)