Author Topic: SCOTT, Bothwell  (Read 812 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTT, Bothwell
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 February 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hilarykellis it's me being thick through lack of sleep.  So William Scott and Fanny Embley married 1854 in Sheffield?  William Scott was buried August 19th 1873 in Rotherham.  Such a pity England doesn't have such a site as SP :(.  I'll keep looking for William snr.

No worries, monkey, you've been helpful!

Yes, they married in Sheffield. On William's marriage record, he is a brewer and his father is William Scott, a labourer. I knew he was from Lanarkshire from a census record in England and that he was definitely born in 1826/7, so by extensive process of elimination I settled on William Scott and Margaret Kent for his parents (took me years to figure out, but I feel fairly confident).

I haven't ordered William's death record but I have seen his will and there's no mention of his Scottish family, which makes sense given his father was dead and he had no full siblings, or any siblings at all in England.

I know he lived at South Adderston from his baptism record, in Bothwell. In the 1841 census, the only people with residence of Adderston in Bothwell are the Scotts that I mentioned in my OP.

I've spent a bunch on SP credits now...still confused! It looks like there was also a James Scott, farmer, who died in 1821 in Bothwell and left a will - he mentions a son named William, who is a carter.

I don't know how likely it is that William d. 1828's father was also named William - I just assumed he probably would be because of Scottish naming patterns and the fact that William b. 1827 seems to be the first/only son the couple had. Margaret's father was named Robert.