Author Topic: Edith Centre , Blackpool  (Read 1049 times)

Offline double-trouble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edith Centre , Blackpool
« on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I am in disc . with a worker at the old M & S store here which opened in 1937 and closed in 1980 as doing research on staff and the building .
For those that do not know it is now a Mcdonalds restaurant and altered greatly from the days of St Michaels wares .
I have pictures and snippets of info about the company throughout the years there and have been to the company archives in Leeds to progress my work , although quite rightly names and certain pieces of info are restricted .
Does anyone remember the store ?? either through working there or shopping .
I am interested in the store opening pre WW2 and the following declaration of war which saw it at the disposal of the forces in distributing clothing supplies . I am told there were air raid rooms built inside ( x4 ) with hatches that protected occupants instore and were believed built by the Americans .
I know posting here is not directly ' person / genealogy led ' , but hope someone can add to my info through pictures , thoughts .
I do have much of what is generally online regarding pics and thank you in advance for help .
Purnell - Thornbury / Leon . Stanley
Strong - Thornbury / FOD
Kirby - Bitton / Oldland
Burgess - Bedminster
George - Hotwells
Ryan - Bristol
Richards - Bristol / N . Devon
Bennett - Sodburys
Fisher - Thornbury area
Dolling - Wick / Abson
Thomas / Evans - Merthyr / Aberdare / Trecynon
Tanner - Bristol
Ablett - Thornbury area
Flook - East Bristol
Bennett - Oldbury / Thornbury
Spencer - Wilts
Blannin(g) - Bristol
Pollard - Bedminster
Johnson ( Duffield ) - Bristol ( Monmouth )

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Centre , Blackpool
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 18 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I can’t go back pre war but I do remember shopping there. There were the 2 town centre stores but that one was always preferred by my mother and in slightly later life myself. After visiting there it was convenient to nip across the road to Woolworths which was a proper big store with counters in those days.