Author Topic: Great Grandfather Thomas Kelly  (Read 2381 times)

Offline marlin1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Grandfather Thomas Kelly
« on: Sunday 11 February 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about my Great Grandfather, Thomas Kelly. I know a reasonable amount about the middle of his live. I know he lived in Salford, Lancashire between 1911 & 1918. I know he worked as a railway Ostler. I know her married ALICE Dowling (née Ferguson) in 1911 and had four children Margaret, Bedelia, Thomas Richard, & Kathleen.

But have been able to find very little about his early and later life. I know he was born ~1879 and died between 1918 & 1939. But do not know, his place or date of birth (family rumour suggests he was born in Ireland), who he worked for, if he was in the services or his date and place of death, etc.

Everything I have to date has come from Ancestry, but I have now reached a dead end. I would appreciate any steer and suggestions regarding sourcing further information.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great Grandfather Thomas Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Do you have his marriage certificate with his father’s name and occupation? Maybe not if you are just searching through Ancestry.
Lancashire BMD shows that the marriage took place in a register office or registrar attended. Did they marry in a Catholic Church?
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/index.php

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Have you found him in Salford in 1911?

The marriage to Alice was in the December qtr 1911 so he may have been in the area when the census was taken. 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:23 GMT (UK) »
We cannot post 1911 details - you have to look it up yourself.  There is a likely candidate living in South Manchester born 1881 London.  Take a look at the entry - particularly his occupation
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I am just posting a link to the same one Carole  :) looks promising but still vague

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWBR-2JX

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
and died between 1918 & 1939.

That's quite a wide range.  Is that because Kathleen was b 1919 but Thomas is not on the 1939 register?

There is a Thomas Kelly death in Manchester in 1946 - birthyear 1881

Offline marlin1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you both for your replies.

I have Thomas' marriage  certificate, his fathers name was Richard, but Richard's occupation and birthplace are not listed.

Thomas & Alice were married in a Catholic Church (St John the Evangelist).  Two witnesses at the wedding share Thomas' surname (Christopher & Christina Kelly), but I do not know how they relate to Thomas.

I calculated Thomas' birth year from the fact that his age is said to be 32 years on marriage certificate (from Dec 1911). He is said to be a bachelor.

His address at the time of marriage is 4 Drayton St, Salford. After the wedding he moved to Cleminson Street, Salford.  By 1919 the family live at 3 Browning St, Salford.

As you say, the date range I have for his death comes from the birth date of his youngest child (Kathleen b. 1919) and the fact that Alice is listed as a widow on the 1939 register.

I have looked on the 1911 census, but struggled to find a unique match.  From what I can see in Ancestry the censuses from the 30's & 40's don't seem to cover Lancashire - I presume that they were perhaps lost in WWII ?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a Christopher and Christiana Kelly in Lancs in last Censys, both born c 1887 Ireland
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 February 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I have looked on the 1911 census, but struggled to find a unique match.  From what I can see in Ancestry the censuses from the 30's & 40's don't seem to cover Lancashire - I presume that they were perhaps lost in WWII ?

The last available census for England is 1911 so you won't find later ones anywhere.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!