Author Topic: Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 February 18 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Pity there's not more of her dress showing, Carol. 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Same necklace? Dora (again), Ontario, Canada - perhaps c1880s?
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Apologies about posting a third topic about Dora, but I have yet another question.

Years ago, I was told by my aunt that the image with two photos is the same woman, Dora.
Written on the back of the photo of the lady leaning on the fur(?) is "Great Aunt Carrie".

Dora was born c1861, in Ontario, Canada.  She married William (who is in her photo) in 1888.
Carrie was born c1859, in Ontario, Canada.  Carrie was William's sister. (Carrie married in 1904.)

Dora and Carrie appear to be wearing similar if not identical necklaces.  Since it looks like at least one necklace had a locket (or coin?), is there a chance that they were given the items at the same time, to place a loved one's photo or other item inside?  Or, it is more likely that for whatever reason one gave the other the necklace to wear/keep?  Another thought: they both possibly knew each other by the time the photos were taken and by chance bought the same necklace? I do not know anything about jewellery from this time period.

Less likely since she appears to have different features, this wouldn't be the same person in all of the photos, perhaps?

Again, as in recent postings about Dora, I appreciate any guidance or explanations about the photographs.  It was noted earlier that Dora's photographs were taken around mid 1880s.  Thank you for any guidance you may share.  Lisa

PS  Before I started researching my family I knew nothing about Dora.  Any personal information that can be obtained about her is precious to me, even if it is to just find out about her necklace.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Same necklace? Dora (again), Ontario, Canada - perhaps c1880s?
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, attaching images now.   :-\    ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Same necklace? Dora (again), Ontario, Canada - perhaps c1880s?
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

There is no need to post 3 topics on the same subject. When you reply to any topic with your questions this will immediately refresh the topic and bring it to the top again.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I have wondered about the wedding photo of Dora and the younger looking portrait for a few days, Lisa. I now think that the young girl with the cropped hair and the woman with the fur (Carrie) are the same.

What other info do you have on Carrie?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I thought the same as soon as I saw it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget and Carol:

While looking through all of the (copied, not original) photographs that I was sent years ago, it reminded me of the family photo that was taken c1901-1902.  I can attach that image if it might help?  If I figured out the individuals correctly, it includes Dora (and her sister, Sarah), Caroline Anna/Carrie (who became Dora's s-i-l) and William (who was Dora's husband).

When I received the photograph I only knew the names of three individuals.  By looking at how they are positioned in the photograph, I believe I have correctly identified the individuals.

Carrie/Caroline Anna was born in Ontario, Canada c1859.  Her parents settled in Toronto in 1857.  She was one of four siblings, the only girl.  She didn't marry until 1904 (also in Toronto).  She lived with family members prior to her marriage.

Thank you for your interest.  Without the reminder about the difference between the two earlier photographs, I wouldn't have thought of looking at the c1901 photo.  ::)  I will wait until I see if the 1901 photo is wanted, as I've already added so many.  Also, I am not sure how to make the image smaller so that it is easier to view?  Or, perhaps a small image is not preferred.

I have one last photograph of a lady who looks like the lady leaning on the fur, but perhaps it is a photo of Carrie's niece?  I cannot date it. She is also wearing a locket, but it doesn't have the extra link of chain dangling from the necklace.  If I had to guess, I would guess that the lady leaning and the lady with the shorter locket necklace are the same.

Note:  I am waiting for a phone call which may take me away for a bit.