Author Topic: Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure when she was born.  Her death certificate stated that she was born in 1861.  She is shown on various documents as born in Aug/Sep 1861/62.  However, the 1861 Canada census (which I believe was taken in January 1862) has (among other Stuart children):
Dorando/Dorendo - female, age 5
Infant - female, age 1 - was this Dora?

My great-grandmother's name was Dora Emmeline.  Did her parents give two daughters similar names?  I've cannot find little Dorando anywhere except this census.  Or, was my Dora actually Dorando?   :-\

Sorry, in my rush to reply, I thought you meant she looked older than William.  :-[ Oops.  My apologies.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
(I added a note to the bottom of my last reply after I posted the reply.)

I will have a look around to see if there was another event in the family that could have prompted the photograph with the flowers.  Thank you both for the approximate date and for the clean-up Gadget.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure when she was born.  Her death certificate stated that she was born in 1861.  She is shown on various documents as born in Aug/Sep 1861/62.  However, the 1861 Canada census (which I believe was taken in January 1862) has (among other Stuart children):
Dorando/Dorendo - female, age 5
Infant - female, age 1 - was this Dora?

My great-grandmother's name was Dora Emmeline.  Did her parents give two daughters similar names?  I've cannot find little Dorando anywhere except this census.  Or, was my Dora actually Dorando?   :-\

I'm thinking that Dorando died and Dora was possibly named for her.  No proof (will have a look) but that seems to be what families did in those days.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
1901 census has her birth date as 15th August 1862.

Added - William as 2nd June 1864
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Find a Grave has her birth date as 11 Sept 1861. I wonder who informed  :-\

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/158415916

Think her birthdate when alive would be more accurate!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget:

I've actually found (not for my family) a census with three children with the same name, I suppose to keep the name going should one or two die.

At least 25 years ago, I found a document (headstone? - I will check) with her birth date of 11-Sep-1861.  However, there are several documents that have August 1861.

So that it isn't a waste of your time, a couple of RootsChatters have helped me immensely with this family.  We have searched and searched (although it was a few years ago) and could not come up with what happened to Dorando.  But, I appreciate any time that you may be willing to take.  I also have done a lot of research for her siblings and parents.

Added:  I really have to check where I obtained my dates.  I see the note about William's year.  Thank you very much for pointing it out.

Also, the Stuarts and Dora's husband's side were known for handing down names.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
1901 census has her birth date as 15th August 1862.

Added - William as 2nd June 1864

Find a Grave has her birth date as 11 Sept 1861. I wonder who informed  :-\

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/158415916

Think her birthdate when alive would be more accurate!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Death entry has her as 73 on 9 July 1835

???

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have a photograph of the headstone (it will take a while to find it).  FindAGrave has a date of 1863 and I have as well.  How could both Dora's and William's date be incorrect?  William's death certificate shows a date of death as 23-Sep-1924; he was age 61.