Author Topic: Sell/Butcher marriage - and the bride is ....  (Read 688 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Sell/Butcher marriage - and the bride is ....
« on: Monday 12 February 18 02:49 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for some time for a marriage between John Sell and Sarah ?? who were the parents of Sarah Milisant Sell.

Attached is a St Dunstans and All Saints parish entry from May 1794.  It is indexed as John Sell and Mary Butcher and the minister has even written John and Mary, BUT the bride's signature is that of Sarah Butcher and the witness is Mary Butcher.

So, who do you think was the bride?
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sell/Butcher marriage - and the bride is ....
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
My guess is that the Minister made an error. The were all literate and could probable read where they were signing. The other witness Robert Vaughan signed all the other marriages on those pages, he would probably be a member of the church and would probably be with Mary when they signed as witnesses.

By the way, you may all ready have this but I found the following:

John Sell born 21 Jan 1774 baptised 2 Feb 1774 Saint Matthew, Bethnal Green, London
Parents John & Millysent.

I tried to find a baptism for Sarah and Mary but nothing clear. I did find a Sarah born 1771 mother Mary but I thought unlikely.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Colin, my thoughts also.  Sometimes you just need another set of eyes to make sure.

I do have John's baptism already, thank you.

I am off to look at the Butcher's now, for the baptism and for dinner. ::)

Cheers, Mirl
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Actually, I wonder I there is a banns register still in existence with an entry for this pair? That would clinch the deal.