Author Topic: Arctic (Russian) Convoy PQ17  (Read 963 times)

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arctic (Russian) Convoy PQ17
« on: Monday 12 February 18 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Apologies to all if, as I suspect, I have previously posted similar requests in the past, but perhaps someone who might be new to Rootschat will see it and be able to help me further.

July 2018 will be the 100th anniversary of the birth of my late father Alexander Page-Robertson. I’m in my 70’s and I want to leave an accurate record of my father’s war service in the Merchant Navy for my grandchildren while I still have a few wits about me. After considerable effort I finally got an Arctic Star from the UK Government in recognition of Dad's service on the Russian Convoys, (and also via eBay two of the medals from the Russian Government, issued many decades earlier, who give more accolades than the UK had ever given to these heroes. Until recently these Convoy War Veterans were not even allowed to wear the Russian Medals in “Official” parades!)
A few years ago I made a long overdue visit from Melbourne Australia, back home to Scotland and was able to see the Russian Government’s relatively modest Convoy exhibit at Edinburgh Castle, which had a few photos I hadn’t seen before, and some very interesting audio clips from survivors.
But my search now is for more specific information.
Once the ill-fated PQ17 Arctic Convoy was deserted by, let’s be charitable and call them ’the powers that be’ in England, (even Churchill eventually labelling it the worst naval disaster in British history), where did Alex, who was  on the Rescue Ship SS ‘Zaafaran’ (I think as 3rd Mate), end up when the ship was sunk? He and the many other souls on board, mostly already survivors of earlier brutal sinkings in frigid waters, were taken on board their sister Rescue Ship ‘Zamalek’.
So where did Zamalek take them?
Was it to Murmansk or some other Russian port? For how long? How, and when, were they repatriated to UK?
Like so many thousands of others, at age 24 in a camp in Russia he without doubt contracted the TB that finally killed him at 40.
I’d like any information or links that anyone can provide.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic (Russian) Convoy PQ17
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you try and get hold of the book "Convoy Rescue Ships 1940-1945" by the late Arnold Hague. You can probably obtain a copy from your local reference library, if not then ABE Books have several copies for sale.
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=arnold+hague&tn=convoy+rescue+ships&kn=&isbn=
This book gives an overall description of the role played by the Convoy Rescue Ships together with the reference numbers from the British Archives giving details of Masters Reports. The voyage for Convoy PQ17 is the 16th voyage of ZAMALEK in ADM199/2153. There is a Summary of Doctors reports in ADM199/2154. Convoy report for PQ17 is in ADM237/168

Do you have a Merchant Navy Discharge number for your Dad?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic (Russian) Convoy PQ17
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice and references, I'll get onto that soon.