Author Topic: George Badenach or McDonald 1755  (Read 1557 times)

Offline JayneSA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Badenach or McDonald 1755
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 February 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian - I did wonder about an alias.

What evidence do you have to prove that the George Badenoch who was baptised in Glamis in 1755 is the same one who married Jean Fife and had four (?) children in Lintrathen? I notice that there is no record of a son named James, and that his eldest son was named Alexander.

There was*, apparently, a stone in Glamis inscribed to Agnes Low, wife of James Badenoch, who died in 1755 aged 58. If this age is correct she was probably too old to have been the mother of George baptised in 1755.

*according to the MI booklet this stone was recorded by Andrew Jervise in the 19th century, but was not found when the kirkyard was surveyed in 1978.

I have all the certificates for births and marriages which are consistent in terms of mother/wife’s name and location in Lintrathen (place of residence after marriage). All of George’s children were baptized McDonald but some got married using the name Badenach (alias Badenach).
These children then baptized their children either McDonald or Badenach and one is McDonald Badenach = two generations who refer to Badenach or McDonald or both. After that, the Badenach reference disappears. More recently the McDonald name reappears but not Badenach. Without going into all the details, I am sure about everything back to George Badenach/McDonald.
I agree it’s strange that neither George nor any of his children (that I know of) named their first born son either James or George but it seems to be an ongoing thing in all of my known ancestors on this side of the family.
George 1755 had one (possibly two) brothers named Alexander – he named his first born Alexander 1784 (father-in-law was also Alexander) and this Alexander 1784 named his first born Charles (after his father-in-law) and no son Alexander.
Alexander 1784 had 15 children in total (2 wives) and named 11 of them McDonald and 4 of them Badenach.
George’s son John 1793 had 6 children and named his first-born son George Badenach McDonald and second son, James McDonald.
Re Agnes Low, we also saw that in MI and agreed she would have been too old to be George’s mother. From various other records, I know there was more than one James B in Glamis at that time and I do tend to think that James BadenAch is a separate individual to James BadenOch. My cousin has been to the area – Lintrathen and Glamis trying to find records locally or gravestones but nothing.
So for now George’s parents remain a mystery but I think either his father or mother or both were McDonalds and that Badenach was an alias. I also think at least James B wasn’t from the Glamis/Lintrathen area, perhaps also his wife. 

Offline JayneSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 February 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh - Jayne,  Black's "Surnames of Scotland!". If the name comes from the district they must have left some time ago!

I found the publication online, thank you. What a wonderful book! I hadn’t seen that one. So far not really of much use but still a wonderful publication. 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 February 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I have all the certificates for births and marriages which are consistent in terms of mother/wife’s name and location in Lintrathen (place of residence after marriage). All of George’s children were baptized McDonald but some got married using the name Badenach (alias Badenach).
I am sure that you have all your documents in order as far back as George's marriage.

I am just curious to know how you can be certain that the George who married Jean/Jane Fife in Lintrathen in 1783 as George Badenoch and fathered four children as George M(a)cDonald was the one baptised in Glamis in 1755.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JayneSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian –Obviously I can’t be 100% sure and it sounds like I’m missing something so back to the drawing board  :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian –Obviously I can’t be 100% sure and it sounds like I’m missing something so back to the drawing board  :)
That's fine, then. It is quite possible, even probable, that he is one and the same, but you need to bear in mind that without some other evidence to prove it, he may not be.

It occurs to me that 1755 is not all that long after the Jacobite rising that culminated at Culloden in 1746, and that there were bound to be M(a)cdonalds who found it expedient to leave their home areas and go into hiding for a spell. There is a book, 'A List of Persons Concerned in the Rebellion', which just might conrtain something of interest. See https://archive.org/details/alistpersonscon00excigoog
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.