Author Topic: Robert Johnson Blair - Born in North Shields in 1895  (Read 636 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Johnson Blair - Born in North Shields in 1895
« on: Monday 12 February 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I've been researching a relative and have found a little information about his brother which has got me intrigued.

The information is an inscription on his family's grave (which is on the find a grave website) and says:

ALSO IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR DEAR ELDER SON ROBERT JOHNSTON, LATE SGT N.F. AND BELOVED HUSBAND OF JESSIE BLAIR, WHO DIED AS A RESULT OF WAR SERVICES, MAY 2ND 1925 AGED 32 YEARS INTERRED AT ST ALBANS, HERTS.

I have managed to work out the two brothers joined up together in 1915 and that Robert was eventually discharged on the 15th of June 1918 because of wounds. What I haven't found out is what those wounds were that according to the grave inscription went on to cause his death.

I have found a marriage for Robert J Blair and Jessie Seymour in Jul - Sep 1919 at Eton, Buckinghamshire. I can't find any North Tyneside marriages for him so it may be that he moved there after the war in which case I should probably move this into a different section.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Johnson Blair - Born in North Shields in 1895
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Is this the death?  A few discrepancies from the quote.

Ap/May/Jun 1926
St Albans
Ref 3a 803
Robert J Blair
age 31

A copy of the death cert would give you a cause of death.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the right one as here is Probate Index entry:-

Robert Johnson Blair of Tyneholme, Sandridge Road St Albans, died 2 MAy 1926. Probate Newcastle upon Tyne to Thomas Finkall Blair trade union official.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizdb,

That must be him, thanks very much. You may have inadvertently answered another question at the same time which I hadn't even mentioned.

His brother and father were both called Thomas Finkall Blair, I found a newspaper cutting from 1914 which described his father being one of a party 4 men who went to Ireland to research whether home rule was a good idea or not but I had no idea which a railway clerk would have been chosen to do that. Maybe it was something to do with him being a trade union official.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)