Author Topic: DNA and bone graft  (Read 992 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DNA and bone graft
« on: Monday 12 February 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I've got my DNA kit but I'm now concerned as I've just had a small bone graft to back up a  dental implant. Would this affect my spit sample?

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA and bone graft
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
From a quick look around I think this is something you should notify your testing company of and seek their advice.

In this article

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/testing-process/sick-will-affect-sample/

ftdna say that there an be some knock on effects from illness or medical procedures such as bone marrow transplants and therefore advise getting in touch first to establish if they will be able to get a usable sample

similarly in this article

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers/viewtopic.php?id=6352

the author gives some examples where medical procedures may be a problem.

And there are many more similar articles to look at too.

So, in summary the answer seems to be to tell the testing company and see if they say its OK to go ahead or whether you should wait a while
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA and bone graft
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, David. I've had a read at those links and have e-mailed supplier. Luckily it's not a major bone graft and the gum should heal over it soon. I hope I can then provide a sample, otherwise it will be a bit of a waste of money  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***