Author Topic: All Saints Weaste  (Read 617 times)

Offline ger1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
All Saints Weaste
« on: Monday 12 February 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I know that a relative of mine was baptized at All Saints Weaste in 1911. The mother was not married and names a father on the baptism record. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. Would she have been accepted for a church baptism if they knew the child had been born out of wedlock? If she lived in the parish would she have had to be a member of that church? If she names the father at the baptism would he have had to be there with her? Would he also have had to live in the parish? Grateful for any help.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: All Saints Weaste
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Under Ecclesiastical (Canon) Law, a minister cannot refuse, or delay to baptise any child.
Canon 29 states that no parent shall be urged to be present (at a baptism) or can be a godfather for his own child.
There are innumerable baptisms of illegitimate children in parish registers.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ger1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Any clergyman should be happy to baptise an illegitimate child. After all, it is not the child's fault that the parents were not married.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.