Author Topic: George Street Independent Chapel, Heckmondwike AND Dewsbury records - Ellis  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Irishgene65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm trying to find any birth records for my Great Grandmother, Hannah (Annie) Ellis or records of her parents. She was born in 1870 possibly in Dewsbury. She is on the 1881 census for Moor End Lane, Dewsbury and 1891 census for Victoria Street, Heckmondwike. She lived with Henry and Ellen Allott as adopted daughter. She married my Great Grandfather, Edward Wilkinson in George Street Independent Chapel in Heckmondwike on 26/05/1896 and moved to Dublin Ireland soon after. They had three children, Edward Clement, Blanche Olive (my grandmother) and Henry Riley. They travelled back to Heckmondwike to have each of them baptised at the George Street Independent Chapel. My Grandmother, Blanche Olive Wilkinson was born 05/10/1903 and baptised in 07/08/1904.  Edward Clement was baptised 07/08/1898 and Henry Riley 08/08/1909. I understand this chapel is non-conformist or Methodist and is now a mosque.  I have drawn a blank on my G.Grandmother and I understand adoption records didn't really exist for that period. I have a possible record of her being born in the Asylum area of Dewsbury on 02/03/1870 but I'm not certain this is her. Any information or advice on where to look next would be gratefully received. Many thanks - June

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Street Independent Chapel, Heckmondwike AND Dewsbury records - Ellis
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
You don't say whether you have a copy of the 1896 marriage certificate for Edward Wilkinson and Hannah/Annie, but this might possibly give a clue as to who her father was.

I have a possible sighting of Hannah in Dewsbury in the 1871 census as Ann Ellis, aged 1, a boarder with a family named Smith (RG10/4601 fo129 p28). This was the first possible one that I saw, so it would be wise to check my findings and see if there were any others.

It would be worth looking to see if anyone in the Smith household (or wherever else you might spot her) had Ellis connections, in case she was related. Similarly, have you investigated any possible connections the Allotts might have had to anyone called Ellis?

Where adoption happened or is suspected, it's always worth looking for wills, since an informally adopted child cannot inherit anything from an adoptive parent unless specifically provided for in a will, and such a will might even have clues about the child's origins. In this case you're in luck, as both Henry and Ellen Allott appear to have left wills - he in 1912 and she in 1915, if I have the right ones. You can view the indexes and order copies at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at your tree in Ancestry and going by Hannah's siblings and surname mis-spellings for the mother this is the best I could find.
The GRO now give the MMN 

Hannah Ellis 1869 J quarter Dewsbury Volume 09B - 616 MMN Dawtery
Regards Carolanne
Kenworthy- Barnsley area
Horn/Horne- Barnsley-Silkstone-Thurgoland
Booth-Emley-Flockton
Hampshire-Flockton
Moore-Barnsley
Markey-Barnsley

Offline Irishgene65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at your tree in Ancestry and going by Hannah's siblings and surname mis-spellings for the mother this is the best I could find.
The GRO now give the MMN 

Hannah Ellis 1869 J quarter Dewsbury Volume 09B - 616 MMN Dawtery
Regards Carolanne

Many thanks for that information Carolanne, I'll investigate that. kind regards June

Offline Irishgene65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
You don't say whether you have a copy of the 1896 marriage certificate for Edward Wilkinson and Hannah/Annie, but this might possibly give a clue as to who her father was.

I have a possible sighting of Hannah in Dewsbury in the 1871 census as Ann Ellis, aged 1, a boarder with a family named Smith (RG10/4601 fo129 p28). This was the first possible one that I saw, so it would be wise to check my findings and see if there were any others.

It would be worth looking to see if anyone in the Smith household (or wherever else you might spot her) had Ellis connections, in case she was related. Similarly, have you investigated any possible connections the Allotts might have had to anyone called Ellis?

Where adoption happened or is suspected, it's always worth looking for wills, since an informally adopted child cannot inherit anything from an adoptive parent unless specifically provided for in a will, and such a will might even have clues about the child's origins. In this case you're in luck, as both Henry and Ellen Allott appear to have left wills - he in 1912 and she in 1915, if I have the right ones. You can view the indexes and order copies at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Thank you so much Arthur.
I did get their marriage certificate and her father's name is possibly Matthew Ellis, labourer possibly b. 1845.  There is a marriage record for a Matthew Ellis to Mary Jane Kaye (widow) nee Dealtry b.1847 married 11/06//1867. But I'm not certain these people are her parents.
That's interesting information on the wills, I will look that up. I have tried to see if there were any relatives to Henry or Ellen who may be related to Hannah.  Ellen's maiden name was Naylor. Still looking.
I really appreciate your assistance. Kind regards, June