Author Topic: Dr. Bernardo's Children-England to Canada  (Read 1579 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Bernardo's Children-England to Canada
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, it was only by chance in the search for a baptism for Rebecca I located this:-

Herbert Pickering b 5th August 1900 baptism 14th October 1901 Father Emmanuel occ Weaver Mother Ann abode 6, Alma Street
The GRO Index shows the mmn of Herbert was HODGSON
In 1901 census is an Ann Pickering 24 Married with a son Herbert aged 7 months with her Hodgson parents at 5, Higson Street, Blackburn
Census ref RG13/3909/64/25

Is this another Emmanuel/Ann who married June 1900 Blackburn 8c 723?
Keyboard86

EDIT believe this Emmanuel was b c 1872 so back to drawing board!

Where did Mary & Rebecca get such a markedly different ( Maiden name ) at their respective marriages eg MERRICK?

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Bernardo's Children-England to Canada
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 February 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to confirm the names of the parents whose 2 young daughters were sent to Canada in 1919 as part of the Dr. Bernardo's Homes. My husband's grandmother and sister came from Blackburn, Lancashire, but there 2 brothers remained in England. I found a 1901 Census for the family. The father's name is Emmanuel Pickering and Mother is Mary Hannah Pickering. When I found the marriage records in Canada for the 2 girls, Rebecca and Mary, the parents names are Daniel Pickering and one record says Agnes Merrick and the other Annie Merrick.  I have tried so many different name variations but get nothing back from English records. In 1911, I find the girls living as "boarders" with Alfred Dean and his wife Eliza Annie Dean. I don't know if these people are relatives to the girls and what happened from the 1901 census with the parents to before they left England in 1913 for Canada.
Can anyone please advise as I'm not getting anywhere and don't know what to do next.
Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Sue
Your story intrigued me - I would agree with others I don't think that the parents married.  There were 2 if not 3 men from Blackburn with the name Emmanuel Pickering roughly the same age.  Given that Mary & Rebecca were registered with mmn 'Barnes' and then we find the two brothers George & Robert registered under this name I would concluded that their mother was Annie Barnes.  I would ignore the marriage of Emmanuel Pickering to a Waring or a Hodgson. I do not think these are yours.

Annie could be a nickname for Agnes or Hannah so I would not disregard those first names.

I found both Mary (aged 14 at the time) and Rebecca (then aged 11 at the time) in the transcribed record collection of Home Children Immigration Records.  They travelled on the CORINTHIAN into Peterborough, Ontario June 1913

If I were you I would contact these people here and see if the have any further information on these two girls:
http://canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com/barnardo-home-records.html

Kind regards
CD

As a PS - In 1911 I think it is very odd these girls are Boarders all the way down in Huntingdonshire - so that's near Peterborough and Cambridge! A very long way from Lancs.