Author Topic: Nanny Dobson nee Gardner nether Kellet  (Read 909 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nanny Dobson nee Gardner nether Kellet
« on: Monday 12 February 18 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Nanny was my 4xG grandmother. I cannot find out what happened to her after her husband's death in 1829 and would appreciate any help given in my search :) Here is what I know, or at least am pretty certain about
Nanny was baptised 13th October 1785 at Ellel, the daughter of Thomas Gardner. She married Isaac Dobson by licence on 4th December 1808 at St Michaels, Cockerham. Isaac was a corn dealer/yeoman from Preston Patrick, Westmorland ( according to newspaper articles he owned Milton Mill) Their children were all baptised at Preston Patrick; Joseph born 5th November 1809, ch 26th November, Preston Patrick
William born 26th May 1811 Milton, ch 1st September
Mary born 19th September 1813, ch 17th October
Elizabeth born 11th March 1816, ch 18th April
Margaret born 13th September 1818, ch 27th October
Thomas born 8th August 1820, ch 1st October
In 1820 Milton Mill was advertised for sale and by 1823 Isaac was renting a 100 acre farm in Nether Kellet
Isaac died in suspicious circumstances on 23rd July 1829 at Dunald Mill, Nether Kellet. His friend Thomas Towers was put on trial for his murder but acquitted because of lack of sure evidence. I have been unable to trace what happened to Nanny and would love to tie up this 'loose end'. Her name varies somewhat in parish records & newspaper reports; Nancy and Hannah are also used, I have also searched using Ann and the surname of Dobson alone on all the usual sites with no joy.
Thanks in advance :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Nanny Dobson nee Gardner nether Kellet
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Where are the children living in 1841  :-\

Have you considered that she may have remarried after her husbands death as she had young children
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
are these your Nanny and Isaac's children
William to Mary Tomlonson,married,St Oswald Warton feb 1841  both of Yealand Conyers
Margaret to Timothy Longton,Lancaster in 1846,Margaret is living Friar st
Elizabeth to William Batty Lancaster 1851,her abode was China Lane
Thomas in 1855,married Warton,of  Warton to Elizabeth Campbell of Kendal
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
rosie99, I have William's details, census marriage children etc as he is my direct line. The other children I have struggled with. I have considered a remarriage, as you say she had young children, but can't find anything which seems to fit.

Radcliffe, William & Mary Tomlinson are my direct line, Margaret & Timothy Longton I had found the marriage. Thank you for the Elizabeth and Thomas marriages, I will look into those.
I have tried to trace the children (obviously not very well!) in the hope that Nanny might turn up on one of their records.
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
So with the help of Radcliff’s marriage details I have traced some of Isaac & Nanny’s children.
Elizabeth & Richard Batty I have through census from 1851 through to Elizabeth’s death in 1887.
Think I have found Thomas in 1851, a farm labourer in Kings Meaburn, Westmorland; but no luck any further than that. 
Margaret & Timothy Longton I already had some details. On further investigation, Timothy was the cousin of William Dobson’s wife (Margaret Tomlinson) their son, also Timothy was with them in 1861 as a boarder & died in a tragic accident in 1870. Timothy senior died in 1854 and Margaret remarried a William Riley. 
I have had no definitive results for Joseph, though he may be in Stainton, Westmorland, farmer’s servant in 1851.
Still no sign of Nanny, either in future marriages or possible deaths.
The possible deaths I have found are :
Nanny Dobson burial 8 Sep 1852 St John Preston, 65 yrs abode Malt Street
Hannah Dobson burial 26 Jan 1859 Accrington 75 yrs
Ann Dobson 30 Mar 1851 Wigan 67 yrs
I haven’t yet found any census data to clarify who any of these women were in order to rule them out or justify further investigation.
I still haven’t found any results from 1841 census for any of the children that give me a ‘gut feeling’
Any further help appreciated :)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »
2 possible candidates for Hannah Dobson buried at Accrington 1859 from 1851 census:
Hannah Dobson aged 63, wife of Robert Dobson, curate of Great Harwood.
Nancy Dobson aged 70, wife of John Dobson, handloom weaver, at Lane Side, Haslingden.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 18 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Burial St. James, Accrington 26th Jan 1859 Hannah Dobson aged 75, abode School St.
2 burials at St John, Preston, 1 abode Malt St. other Vicar St.
Burial at Wigan March 1851 Ann Dobson aged 67 abode Chapel St.
Burial St. Mary, Blackburn Oct. 1858 Ann Dobson aged 63, widow of late Thomas, 27 Kirkham Lane.
(LAN OPC)

1851 census Vicar St., Preston,  Ann Dobson b. Rufford, Lancs, daughter Susanna, son James.
1861 census 38 Malt St., Preston, Edward Dobson aged 30.

Cowban

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Maidenstone, those possibles are now looking unlikely.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
1841 census Yealand Conyers
Below Hannah Thomlinson aged 45 years,independent means
Mary Dobson aged 25 years born in county,
Wm Dobson aged 30,not born in county,farmer

wonder who the gardner witness was on their marriage

William and Mary had son Isaac,baptised 20th March 1842,Mary Ann,28th Jan 1844,Elizabeth 26th October 1845,William 9th May 1849,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,