Author Topic: Pls help date photo of my g grandmother Gertrude Smart and identify brooches  (Read 795 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi This is a photo of one of my great grandmothers, Gertrude Aldred, nee Smart (I believe though that  dating the photo will confirm this). She was born in Lancashire and emigrated with her husband, Henry Aldred and youngest children to Victoria, Australia (he emigrated first). I dearly would love assistance with dating the photo and if anyone could identify what brooches she is wearing I would really appreciate this. Thanks! Deb  :)
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Pls help date photo of my g grandmother Gertride Smith and identify brooches
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
They look a bit like military cap badges.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pls help date photo of my g grandmother Gertride Smith and identify brooches
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jim. Her father was Captain Richard Smart who was in the Royal Lancashire militia and also served in South Africa where he returned to live. These badges may have belonged to him.  :)
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth, I think the furniture her hand is resting on looks like a fine piece of art nouveau work, which should put the photo between 1890's and 1914 or there abouts.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »
2 could be these:
1) East Lancs. Regt.
2) Leeds Pals Battalion.
This would date it post 1914 -early 20's.
The 3rd. I can't identify but looks to have 3 clasps attached, possibly belonging to the Queen's SA Medal.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Could she be the same lady as the beautiful lady in your avatar later in life?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 18 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. Thanks Howse Wowse, for your input. It is a nice piece of furniture! Thanks also, Jim, that Lancashire one does look somewhat like one of the badges. Gertrude's father was also in the Griqualand West Light Infantry as a captain (and I just read that this was a voluntary force provided to keep law and order in the Kimberleys in the 1870's), so one of the medals may be related to this (see attached) as in this document he was recommended for a medal.
Gertrude was born in 1861. If this was taken in 1914, she would have been 53 which is probably about right.
No, Carol this is not the same lady. I will be soon putting up another photo of that grand lady taken with her first grandchild, in need of restoration, a beautiful photo for its time I think. We would have had more photos of that family (Aikens) but when my mother's aunt died (photos had been left to her), someone disposed of all the beautiful photos that they had including many studio photos, a crying shame. I will attach 2 photos of Gertrude Aldred (the lady in this post) one at the beach taken about 5 years later and one taken about the same time at her daughter Dora's wedding. She is the older woman in the photo.
On the back of this (subject of the query) photo it is written Mrs Aldred and I assumed that it is my great grandmother (Gertrude Smart) not Henry Aldred's mother as she would have been a older woman when this was taken. Thanks for helping date it everyone!  :)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pls help date photo of my g grandmother Gertrude Smart and identify brooches
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi This is a photo of one of my great grandmothers, Gertrude Aldred, nee Smart (I believe though that  dating the photo will confirm this). She was born in Lancashire and emigrated with her husband, Henry Aldred and youngest children to Victoria, Australia (he emigrated first). I dearly would love assistance with dating the photo and if anyone could identify what brooches she is wearing I would really appreciate this. Thanks! Deb  :)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pls help date photo of my g grandmother Gertrude Smart and identify brooches
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »