Author Topic: Qualmann  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Qualmann
« on: Tuesday 13 February 18 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello , yes it has been awhile , The Qualmann Family Friedrich Gottfried Ludwig wife Sophia Mararette Elisabeth(nee Bannow) left Tarneritz Germany with 2 girls . The Article Chronicle Adelaide s. Aust.1895 1954 Sat.8th April 1905 page 10.  Sophia said they arrived in South Aust.in 1842.He had died in 1892.
But can't find how they got to Adelaide. My line is Johann Carl Heinrich was born on the 12th feb. 1847 in Lobethal. A story is that they departed Hamburg 1844 on the Skjold to new Zealand then Horbart to Portland on to Adelaide.
 I know this is not much to go on but if you can give it a go I would really Appreciate your time and
trouble that I know you go too.Thank you for your time Cheers Gail

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Qualmann
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you ask for this to be moved to the Australia boards.

What sort of records are you hoping to find for internal travel, or from New Zealand to Australia at that time?  Where have you looked?

If they departed Hamburg in 1844, how can they have arrived in South Aust in 1842? 

As you have put 'yes it has been awhile' have you posted about this family previously?

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, yes about the family that lived in south Australia which a Lady  called Cando Helped me  as my mother was a Qualmann and married a Gaghen..Now  I am going backwards if that makes sense. About New Zealand I only got the information from a Lady who  was a Qualmann. I   know it was slow by boat but not that slow. Thank you for your time Cheers Gail

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
HI Have just found out that Friederich Ludwig QOALMANN wife Sophie daughters Christine and Marie were Naturalised  in New Zealand on 1st Jan 1844.  That changes from the Quote  Sophie had given in article with the dates, maybe in the translation as she could only speak German. So now not sure were to go . Did they go to Tasmania or call into Portland (Victoria ) to Adelaide. Have checked some of the shipping records but no Qualmann. Any thoughts? Thank you for your time Cheers Gail.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
On Australian naturalization request he says he has been in South Australia (and/or UK) for 8 years in 1853   

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lrr/

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank You so much Ros,  that means  (maybe)that they arrived around 1844-5 have checked  shipping records ,I can't find Qualmann  at all .Could they have come by a smaller ship if they were in Tasmania or Portland Vic? Is there any other type of paperwork that could give me any hints? Cheers Gail.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 March 18 01:13 GMT (UK) »
10 December 1844 Trove Qualman ( 1 N only)

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8755786
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 March 18 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you SO MUCH they have gone from N.Z. to Hobart . they were in South Australia (1853 when sign on to be Australian can't think of the word sorry and had been there 8years)) when they left Hobart between 1844. and 1845 . to where am not sure( Portland  Victoria)  was mention .Would they have taken a small ship and only styed in Hobart a little while? Again Thank You Cheers Gail :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 18 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi ,Have  been  checking shipping records of arrivals in Victoria (I do this through our local library) with the dates between 1844 -45.  No Luck.Can I check local papers from Hobart to Melbourne  if so how do I fine them?  Thank you for your time cheers Gail