Author Topic: Any suggestions please  (Read 1601 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any suggestions please
« on: Tuesday 13 February 18 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
     Does anyone have any ideas on this mystery?
Great grannie was born in Barnsley in 1865 her brother Matthew Abbott was born in Wigan 2 November 1867, they were both baptised in Barnsley in 1868 then the next brother John born in Wigan in 1870.
In the 1871 Matthew is missing, and another brother called Matthew was born in 1876. I can't find any death or burial for the first Matthew,   usually you find one or the other can't find either.
There were 4 Matthews in all, cousins named after the grandfather.
1 lived in Wigan 1868-1935
1 1869-1945 in Wigan and Yorkshire
1 1876-1948 our uncle Mat
and then this missing baby
Thank you
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
What was the mothers maiden name - Rothwell? 

I can't see a death for the first Matthew either  :-\

Have you checked the 1911 census ** for the parents (if still alive) to see how many children they have as having been born/died?

** forget that idea looks like father is widowed before 1911  :(
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »

Have you checked the 1911 census ** for the parents (if still alive) to see how many children they have as having been born/died?

** forget that idea looks like father is widowed before 1911  :(

This is an interesting point you make Milliepede -
Does this mean that a widowed, (or divorced,) man did not need to state how many children he had fathered during the length of his marriage?
Was a widow woman required to supply that information, or only people who were still in a marriage?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Worth  reading the wording on a 1911 census form - "state for each married woman on this schedule,completed years the present marriage has lasted" and then "children born alive to present marriage".

Key word in the above is present. Given the number of scorings out I have noticed with  the above figures eg widows filling in when they did not have to it does seem to have caused a  degree of confusion.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you William.
Excellent to have clarification on that.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
A lot of the information on the 1911 census is wrong.
It says William Abbott was born in Wigan when it was Codnor in Derbyshire and it also says the marriage had lasted 27 years producing 11 children 9 still living when in fact they weren't even married! She married her first husband 27 years previous and had 11 children to 3 husband's but had never divorced her first and he went to prison for bigamy in 1898.
Thank you for looking.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming great Grannie is
Elizabeth Abbott (MMN Rothwell) born Barnsley 1865
Matthew Abbott (MMN Rothwell) born Barnsley 1867

On the 1871 census there is
John Abbott in Wigan, 8 months old son of William Abbott and Jane
also Elizabeth Abbott aged 5, born Barnsley

Seem to be the right family with no mention of Matthew

If you have Matthew being baptised 1868 it seems likely we are looking for a death between 1868 and April 1871

The only potential I can see and this is widely stretching if I'm honest is in 1869 in Pontefract (so next district to Barnsley) is a Matthew Rothwell who died aged 1.
I can't see a birth for Matthew Rothwell

Editted to say buried in Whitwood, Yorkshire on  Oct 17th - aged 1yr and 11 months - so would have been born Nov 1867

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
    You are right on everything and I think this Matthew Rothwell is probably right so thank you very much. Just recently in the past few days I found that their father William stole 18 fowls in Barnsley and escaped via the bedroom window, he wasn't caught until a year later in Wigan and was sentenced to two months in prison, so it looks like he was lying low in Pontefract, so now the pieces are fitting together.
Going to work soon but now have something to look into. Thank you again.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
If he was lying low they may have used her maiden name as a surname, which could explain the death under Rothwell - hopefully something on the death certificate would confirm or rule it out

I