Author Topic: Arthur Hart Birth record  (Read 1267 times)

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Hart Birth record
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
They got Married In Glasgow - I have the record of the Marriage, they got Married 18th Feb 1871 in Govan. It is possible although he was Illegitimate that his Father is Arthur Hart my GGFather and they never married until 3 years later, that is assuming that Margaret MacGhee is Margaret McGonnigal

Thanks

Peter Hart

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
     Arthur Hart married Margaret McGonigall at Govan in 1871.       No wonder the marriage couldn't be found.      We were only looking as far as 1868, because of Arthur's birth then.     So it looks like a possibility of Arthur being illigit.       Either that or he was simply just slow to marry Margaret McGonigall.       Maybe the child's true mother was Margaret McGhee right enough.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
   Identical thinking.     I figured it out but you beat me by a few minutes to post it!     Ha ha,

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 19:26 GMT (UK) »
This site is truly amazing. i am indebted to everyone who has replied to my query. In two hours I have got an answer to a question that has puzzled me for a long time. I never thought of him being illegitimate.
thanks so much

Peter Hart.

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
     Arthur Hart married Margaret McGonigall at Govan in 1871.       No wonder the marriage couldn't be found.      We were only looking as far as 1868, because of Arthur's birth then.     So it looks like a possibility of Arthur being illigit.       Either that or he was simply just slow to marry Margaret McGonigall.       Maybe the child's true mother was Margaret McGhee right enough.

Think its more likely for some reason he was slow to marry.
On the 1871 he is shown with the Mcgongal family in Paisley and I know it is the correct family. I have a feeling that somewhere in my research I have seen Margaret Mcgonigal having a middle initial of M. I wonder if the M was for Mcghee.

Peter hart

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I have just received the correct image for the birth of Arthur from Scotlands People.      In the column marked "Legitimacy" there is just a stroke.     Parents are Arthur Hart & Margaret McGonigal.    The date of birth is 18 May 1868 at 17 Moss Street.    And the baptism date is 28th June.

Maybe McGhee was Margaret's middle name, but there seems little doubt that Margaret McGonigal is the true mother.     

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much. I havent received anything from Scotlandspeople yet.
I am really grateful for the help
Peter hart