Author Topic: Date and restore tintype please may be 3rd G-Grandmother Neeltje Louwes Smith  (Read 661 times)

Offline carylwood1978

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I believe this tintype may be my 3rd G-Grandmother Neeltje Louwes Smit Halsema who died Aug 27, 1859 in Eijerland, Texel, Netherlands.  It has a hole punched in the top with a red stringed price tag (hidden in the scan) labeled Louie's Mother.  Any help with dating and clean up would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, carylwood1978

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Date and restore tintype please may be 3rd G-Grandmother Neeltje Louwes Smith
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi carylwood, welcome to Rootschat.
Couple of tries from me: a rough rinse off, then a cleanup and new paint job. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline carylwood1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Date and restore tintype please may be 3rd G-Grandmother Neeltje Louwes Smith
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much McGroger for taking the time to help me, now I can actually see what she looks like.
Great job!
carylwood1978

Offline pablo59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 18 05:38 GMT (UK) »

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Not 1859 I'm afraid as tintypes didn't arrive until the mid 60's.
This lady's dress style is typical of the 1870's.
Tintypes by nature of the medium used are in reverse. In this you can now see her wedding ring on display & she's holding a letter in her other hand.
We've seen similar many times & I've always had the view these were "thinking of you" type photos with the letter writer getting this in return.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline carylwood1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pablo59 for the great restore and to Jim 1 for the reverse and tintype info.  It looks like I need to keep searching for her identity.  I had this photo looked at by a famous photo expert when she was in town and she said her age was about 48, blue eyes, no teeth, and she wasn't wearing an American bonnet.  I was always concerned that tintypes came out after her death, maybe someone labeled the photo wrong many years later.
Thanks again everyone,
Carylwood1978