Author Topic: Looking for a baptism John HONAN about 1830  (Read 1516 times)

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a baptism John HONAN about 1830
« on: Tuesday 13 February 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the baptism of John HONAN, son of James HONAN, a farmer. 
The earliest record I have is his enlistment into the RIC on 18 August 1847 when he is described as aged 18, born Tipperary, implying a birth in 1829.
After 10 years in RIC, he moved to Manchester, and in 1861 census, he was 31 (ie born 1830), in 1871 he was 39 (ie born 1832), when he remarried in Oct 1871, he was 40 (ie born 1831), in 1881, he was 50 (born 1831) and when he died in April 1890, he was 61 (born 1829).

I think it's unlikely he could have got away with joining the RIC at the age of 16 (1831 birth), so he must have been born 1829 or 1830.  I've looked through the Tipperary (parish) registers for 1829 and part of 1830 with no success.  Also there seem to be no other births of Honans in the parish at that time, though I know there was a family of Honans with 6 or 7 sons at Ballyhurst (about 2 miles east of Tipperary town) in 1837 and later in the Griffiths valuation of c1841.

Can anyone suggest where all these missing baptisms may be - John and family were devout Catholics.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a baptism John HONAN about 1830
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Most likely answer is that he was baptized in a parish where the registers for 1829 don't survive.  Have you checked the coverage dates  on the NLI site?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have looked on the NLI but I don't know if he was born in Tipperary town, parish or county - the RIC record is on Ancestry, but I don't have a subscription to check whether the birthplaces for other constables appear to be counties or towns or parishes.  Also, it is not clear on the NRI site for any particular parish whether the parish records haven't survived or whether the parish wasn't established until a later date.  Also I am struck by the fact that I didn't spot the Honan surname either as a parent or as a sponsor in the Tipperary or other local parishes records I looked at, yet I do know that there were Honan families (even if not mine) living in the area.

I was under the impression that all/some registers had been transcribed on one of the commercial sites, and the transcription indexes would help narrow down  which parish I should be looking in.  So perhaps that's my real question - can I find a transcribed list of names from parish records so I can work out where to concentrate?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
You can use the one on Ancestry free but without a sub you will only get the county not the parish still it can help narrow down years to search each parish in that county.
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61039

Oh and give FamilySearch a go as well.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryId=1927084

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sinann.  Have been looking on Ancestry, but nothing's looking promising.  You added FindMyPast while I was away!  :D 
Honans seem to be widely but thinly scattered, across SW Ireland in particular, and without more info, it doesn't look as though I'll be able to progress.  Maybe as more newspapers come online, I'll find the elusive clue.  John's exploits in RIC were reported, so more may emerge.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Also, it is not clear on the NRI site for any particular parish whether the parish records haven't survived or whether the parish wasn't established until a later date.

If you go to page for a particular parish there should be link at bottom for other records (click on Irish Ancestors link). This won't tell you when parish was established but will show earlier records than on NLI site and where thy can be found.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Service No. 9686

Married 22/10/1854       

Wife Native of Londonderry
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
There was also a Philp Honan in the RIC born Tipperary.
http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/tipperary/military/ric-tipperary-1846.txt

Was John's wife from Londonderry,
 http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/tipperary/military/ric-tipperary-1847.txt
There is also an Edmund on that page.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for Death of Father??

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06335/4816845.pdf

In Cloughleigh townland.... might narrow down Parish!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.