Author Topic: 1841 Census lookup - James Fraser, Markinch, Fife  (Read 1258 times)

Offline zzjopark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Census lookup - James Fraser, Markinch, Fife
« on: Wednesday 14 February 18 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Can somebody look for a James Fraser and family in the 1841 Census - believed living in Markinch, Fife?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Liverpool, Ireland, Devon, Cambridge, Southampton, Lincolnshire

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census lookup - James Fraser, Markinch, Fife
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 06:47 GMT (UK) »
According to Freecen there were four men called James Fraser living in Markinch in 1841. Can you provide a few more details e.g. Age, occupation, possible other family members.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline zzjopark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip - I have looked at FeeeCen.  None of the James Fraser enumerated there is the person for whom I am searching.

Thank you very much for your assistance

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
As Isobel has suggested if you provide a bit more information on the family we might be able to help you  :)

Rosie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zzjopark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I have spent many years (and rather a lot of money) trying to trace ancestors of James Fraser, who died 1880 (aged 59) in Gainsboro, Lincolnshire (i.e. d.o.b. ~1821).  He joined West Suffolk Police in February 1845, but there is no service record showing his place of origin.  His marriage certificate (1856) gives his father as James Fraser, blacksmith (presumably alive, because James’ wife cites her father as deceased). Both parties are "of full age". 

The 1851 Census of Gainsboro states that he was born ??????, Fifeshire.  Much peering at the image (inverting to negative, sharpening etc.) led to me deciphering the ?????? as Falkland – although "Forfarian"  thinks it is Scotland.

I found Falkland, but found no James Fraser there in the 1841 Census.  Genuki suggested searching Abernethy.  Not knowing much about Scottish counties, I found James Fraser, blacksmith and son James in Abernethy and Kincardine (Nethy Bridge).  My search of Scotland’s People (SP) 1841 Census could find no other James who was a blacksmith and lived with a son James, both of a likely age.  Hence, I believed I had found the correct family.

FreeCen tells me that Fifeshire 1841 is 100% online – however, a search for James Fraser (the father) gave 2 families but no blacksmith.

I have no other information about the Scottish branch.  The James in Gainsbro had children:
Mary Jane; Margaret; Margaret Jane; Elizabeth; Anne; John William; James; Clara Jane and Alexander.

His wife was Hannah and her parents were James and Clarissa.

I don't know whether these chidlren's names are of any help in finding the Scottish branch.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify the statement about 100% of the Fife 1841 census being online - it means 100% of the 1841 Fife census which has survived is online. There are missing volumes for some 17 Fife parishes. From the NRS "...it is said they were lost when being transferred across the River Forth but there is no documentary evidence to support this". Google and you should easily find a list of the parishes involved.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
He may have been born in Fife but there is no guarantee he nor his father were there in 1841.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.