Author Topic: Name changes??  (Read 1306 times)

Offline NeilnSue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Name changes??
« on: Wednesday 14 February 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Henry Steward born 1837 in Corton Denham, Somerset moved his family to Staveley in Derbyshire in 1874 to work at the new Speedwell mine.
When they appear on 1881 he is listed with the family name as Olman, in 1891 the name changes again to Horseman.  Henry dies in 1900 but the family still show on 1901 census as Horseman. they finally revert back to their true surname of Steward on 1911 census. 
There is no-one left alive that can tell us why the name changes,  would anyone have any ideas please.  Our thoughts were dialects but not sure.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Name changes??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Could Olman be Orsman and mistranscribed on the census  :-\ that would link it to Horseman (dropping the "H" dialect wise) but wouldn't explain why he started and ended life as Steward.

Was his mothers name Steward perhaps?  Who were his parents and what name did he marry under?

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi this appears to be Henry in 1841 census:-

William Steward 30
Elizabeth 30
Love 9 ( Daughter)
John 7
Henry 4
Residing at Corton Denham
Census ref HO107/945/ 4/10 / 14

At present the only baptism I can locate is Love STEWART 12th December 1831 Corton Denham Father William Mother Elizabeth
Finding her post 1851 has been a problem!

William STEWART married Elizabeth Smith 24th October 1831 Corton Denham witnesses Charles Lawrence and Ann Dark
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Could Olman be Orsman and mistranscribed on the census  :-\ that would link it to Horseman (dropping the "H" dialect wise) but wouldn't explain why he started and ended life as Steward.

I read the 1881 as Osman or Oxman - the second letter is very similar to the 'x' in Oxford as PoB of the family above.  Either way, I agree that it seems to be a version of Horseman.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline NeilnSue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi  The family are Steward/t's and that is what they started and ended back with,  The mystery for us is why Olman/Horseman.
Love Steward is last seen in Wilton Gaol in 1856 and after that I cannot find anything.  I am presuming she changed her name totally on release or has died.  Where would I find more information on her incarceration please

You do have the correct family and Henry and Ellen moved to Staveley in Derbyshire for the mines as they were opening and its the 1881 census that has them as Olman. 1891 & 1901 Horseman.  Our theory was dialect and if they had a thick accent then when asked for their jobs they could have been pony drivers in the mine and that was put down as a surname of Horseman. another thought was hiding from whatever Love Steward had done
Any thoughts on this are more than welcome. 
Sue

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry already been suggested.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, really cannot explain how/why the Steward/Stewart name was corrupted to Olman/Osman/Horseman/Houseman?

Both parents William Steward and Elizabeth Smith appear to be base born, William 27th March 1808 East Coker mother Catherine, Elizabeth Smith 4th October 1807 Corton Denham mother Jane.
Keyboard86

PS wonder if it was something to do with whatever Love Steward/Stewart did as suggested?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
in the old Derbyshire dialect - also used today - Horse would be pronounced as "Hoss" - or as "h"'s were seldom sounded "Oss"

You can imagine someone giving their name as Horseman in Derbyshire would be known as "Ossman" and probably the name would be written as "Ossman/Osman"

I think this is most probable.
and often names were shortened or people known as what their occupation was
pony driver =Ossman

So I think the solution to your puzzle is " a Derbyshire Horse is an Oss" and a pony driver is an Ossman"

and as your family were not local their name was more likely to be known as occupation

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NeilnSue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
thank you all, its been a help.