Author Topic: Two John Tulips - Help!!!  (Read 2200 times)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
Two John Tulips - Help!!!
« on: Wednesday 14 February 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I have John Tulip
Throckley Black Row Born November 25th 1805 Baptised January 26th 1806 1st son of William Tulip pitman native of Ovingham Parish by his wife Margaret Bones native of Lanchester

and John Tulip
4 Dec 1808 Jno Tulip of High Felling, born 12 Oct, 2nd son of William Tulip (collier, native of Ovingham) & Margaret Barnes [Bones] (native of Lanchester, daughter of Thomas Barnes)

One of them is my 3xgreat grandfather but as I can't find a death for the one in 1805 and the 1808 one is abbreviated, I'm wondering which one could be the right one!!  I have John throughout the census (date of birth vary) and his death in 1863 which puts his age as 58. 
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two John Tulips - Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
My initial assumption was that the first John died between 1806 and 1808
( as concluded on this thread  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=510342.msg3666474#msg3666474 )

But I see that 'your' John consistently gives his birthplace as Northumberland, indeed in the 1861 census it's Throckley which fits with the 1805 John.

Are the entries you quote taken from the original parish registers or from the Bishops Transcripts? If they are from the transcripts, there is always the vague possibility that the priest got the name wrong  :-\  (Edit - this question was asked in your earlier thread - did you resolve it?)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:39 GMT (UK) »
But I see now that on this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744253.msg5912181#msg5912181 you came to the conclusion that 1805 John was indeed your man, and that 1808 John wasn't  :-\

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have to say I am inclined towards the former on the basis that he seems to consistently say he was born in Northumberland. If he was born in High Felling his county of birth would have been co Durham- in 1841 he is born out of county while living on co. Durham His age at death would also seem to favour the former.

Now I am no handwriting expert but looking at the Bishop's Transcript of the Heworth baptism(the handwriting is not the best!) could the first name be abbreviated to something other than John?

William

Added: My go to site when looking at first name issues is "whatsinaname". Jno is considered there to be a diminutive of Jonathan as well as John.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, my memory failed me that I'd put something up before on this!  I guess I just keep coming back to it because it's not really resolved :(

I'm wondering if, although on DRO and Ancestry the second John (Jno) has been transcribed as John it is something else.

Am I allowed to put up an image of the parish register for you guys to look at the writing?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Now I am no handwriting expert but looking at the Bishop's Transcript of the Heworth baptism(the handwriting is not the best!) could the first name be abbreviated to something other than John?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6WL2-5P?i=393&cc=1309819&cat=1820929

it looks like Jno to me, but I see that lower down John is written in full (this has also already been covered in the earlier thread)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Am I allowed to put up an image of the parish register for you guys to look at the writing?

Please bear in mind that what you see online is NOT the Parish register, it is from the Bishops Transcripts, so there is always the possibility of error.

Can I just repeat my earlier question  :)

Are the entries you quote taken from the original parish registers or from the Bishops Transcripts? If they are from the transcripts, there is always the vague possibility that the priest got the name wrong  :-\  (Edit - this question was asked in your earlier thread - did you resolve it?)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
JenB  - I hadn't realised.  I think the first John may well be the parish register as it has the name of the curate at the bottom

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
On looking back on the old thread, I saw this:
I contacted Holly who is the site manager for Durham Records online and asked her where the transcription had come from of Jno baptism, she did reply that it was the Bishop of Durham's transcripts but offered to have one of her researchers check the parish register.  The outcome:
" Here's my researcher's response:
Clearly JOHN Tulip - written out in full, no doubts at all"