Author Topic: Two John Tulips - Help!!!  (Read 2199 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two John Tulips - Help!!!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
JenB  - I hadn't realised.  I think the first John may well be the parish register as it has the name of the curate at the bottom

Is this the one you are looking at?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6XW9-F2X?i=212&cc=1309819&cat=1809361

If so it is from the Bishops Transcripts. The name at the bottom simply means that it was copied by the curate from the original.

And I see that Holly confirmed that it is shown as John on the original, which shows that you can't always trust what is shown on the transcript  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Jen yes that's the one.
Wonder if I could get Holly at DRO to look at original if they have it for the first John!
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
If you live near to a family search centre you could view the original parish records yourself. The catalog shows that they have been digitised  for both parishes.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
William, I did have a centre near me and used regularly in my first few years of research (12 years ago) but it would seem it's no longer there now :(

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
If you live near to a family search centre you could view the original parish records yourself. The catalog shows that they have been digitised  for both parishes.

Alternatively put up a Woodhorn look-up request on the Northumberland board. A few people go there on a fairly regular basis.

If you do this, please add a link to this thread, so that you don't get even more duplication of information  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 February 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 February 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
This is what I had back from DRO on requesting that they look at the parish registers rather than the bishops transcripts:

We have checked the register and the 1806 baptism is definitely John, written clearly. The only change is that the abode is Throckley Black Row rather than just Black Row - if you review the record from the My Orders tab, you will see this change has been made.

While it is more common for a baptism to go unrecorded than a burial, it is not unheard of for burials to go unrecorded. It is also possible that the first John died elsewhere, perhaps along the way while the family was moving to Heworth, and that happened in a place whose burial records we have not yet transcribed. It is even possible that they named 2 living sons John - we have seen that before, odd as it seems. It is also possible that the clerk made an error when entering either of the Johns - one may have actually been called something else.

Interestingly according to the BT the parents also baptised two further sons with the name William!

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Joanna