Author Topic: Jane Clementson  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Jane Clementson
« on: Wednesday 14 February 18 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a Jane Clementson's birth supposedly born in Stanhope, Durham in 1735 and married Thomas Walton on the 3rd February 1753.
Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Pam Walton...Sydney
O'Halloran, O'Brien - Limerick. Ireland
Dower - Co.Waterford. Ireland
Dodd - Co.Kildare. Ireland
Cotter - Co.Cork. Ireland
French, Sussex. U.K.
Pinning (Penning) - Lincolnshire. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Bennett- Staffordshire. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Coffey - Co.Cork, Ireland.
Connolly- Co. Dublin, Ireland
Walton - Co. Durham U.K.
Stoker - Co. Durham. U.K.
Henderson - Co. Durham U.K

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Clementson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the information about her year and place of birth?

Durham Records Online is a good site:
https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/index.php?q=1&cookiecheck=1

Familysearch has BTs for Durham (dates of coverage vary and you now have to "join up" but it is free):
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1309819?collectionNameFilter=false

Unfortunately the George Bell indexes on Genuki only cover marriages and burials not baptisms:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DUR/Stanhope#ChurchHistory

Have you checked for surname variations? I have Clem*t*s in Durham and I have seen the name written as Clemmit, Clemment, Clemmonson, Clemmet, Clemett, Clemet with differences in spelling even within the same document. There are probably other possibilities too.

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 02:27 GMT (UK) »
The year of birth is an assumption based on the fact that Jane Clemetson married Thomas Walton 3 Feb 1753 whereby as a starting point for her birth I deducted 20 years off the marriage date, which is normal for a reasonable commencement point for a birth.

The marriage dates and information are from .....

Family Search...England Select marriages 1538-1973
Durham Records online. You must enter each person seperately to the others, however with Thomas Walton you need to enter the surname only and to also enter a date span i.e 1750 to say 1760. This results in many Walton names appearing, however, there is a Thos Walton's marriage in Weardale (where Stanhope is) in the year 1753.

I cannot use the Durham Bishops Transcripts for the dates required are too early.

Further, in the book titled "Walking with the Waltons of Durham 1635-1987" National Library of Australia Card No...ISBN 0-9592906-2-6 page 1V and V. The entries only show the date of marriage for Jane Clemetson to Thomas Walton.  This book is available I believe on an International loan basis from most libraries.

I have explored all  the sites which I am able hence my problem.

John Walton...Sydney
French, Sussex. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Walton - Co. Durham U.K.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 18 04:55 GMT (UK) »

Family Search...England Select marriages 1538-1973

I have looked at "England Select marriages 1538-1973" on Ancestry but cannot see this marriage. I may have missed it though.  :-\

Durham Records online. You must enter each person seperately to the others, however with Thomas Walton you need to enter the surname only and to also enter a date span i.e 1750 to say 1760. This results in many Walton names appearing, however, there is a Thos Walton's marriage in Weardale (where Stanhope is) in the year 1753.

Have you viewed the full transcription on Durham Records Online? Thomas Walton is such a common name you need to ensure you have the right Thomas.  :)

Have you looked at the original marriage entry rather than just the index? I am wondering if there is more information to be gleaned from the original, eg "native of" a particular place, or "widow" etc etc?  :-\

Taking a step back, how do you know that Thomas Walton married Jane Clemetson? Did you get their names from one of their children's baptismal records for example? Were both the mother and father named?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 18 04:58 GMT (UK) »

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie you have clarified the marriage of Jane Clementson to my Thomas Walton.

I know that Thomas was born at Windyside, Weardale and baptised on 13 Feb. 1732 with father (and you guessed it he was also Thomas). He married Mary Sanderson 11 May 1727 in Weardale.
The record which I have from Durham Records on line tells me know more than Free Reg does.

So I still would like to find Jane Clementson baptism which more than likely would give her fathers and mothers names.

John Walton...Sydney
French, Sussex. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K
Walton - Co. Durham U.K.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
If you can get to an LDS Family History Centre, https://www.familysearch.org/locations/ you would be able to view the parish register entry for the marriage as they have digital scans which can be accessed via the centre's computers. Unless you are a church member they are not viewable from your home computer, that will be because whoever holds the originals haven't granted permission to publish them for general viewing.

The marriage record is highly unlikely to give you her father's name, if it was in the record it would have been transcribed in Durham Records Online and FreeReg. Back then its rarely more than Fred Bloggs married Ethel Smith on (date).

But the catalogue entry for Stanhope shows that baptisms 1609-1780 will be on the same dataset so you could trawl through to see if you can find a baptism for her if it exists.

The catalogue entry for Stanhope is here:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/372137?availability=Family%20History%20Library

oh and even if you do find a baptism, its likely to just have a father's name, mothers often didn't get a mention back then

Boo

Offline jojotou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 May 21 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I only came upon this post as I was also trying to find Jane’s dob and parents, as I too am descended from Thomas and Jane. Have you had any luck?

Jo

Offline Vabre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 21 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,
Hi Jo,

I am no further advanced with the birth of Jane Clemetson. I assume she would have been born around 1735 but that is only a guess. Should you find her could you please let me know.

As you are a descended from Jane and Thomas's which line do you descend from?

Should you need any further information I may be able to help you for my sister who has now passed on helped Bettye Ross to write a book titled "Walking with the Waltons of Durham  1635 -1987"

John.
French, Sussex. U.K.
Heath - Devon. U.K.
Dodge - Kent. U.K