Author Topic: Grandfather George and his Brother  (Read 955 times)

Offline collech

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandfather George and his Brother
« on: Wednesday 14 February 18 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello I hope you can help me out. This i think is a photo of my Grandfather and his brother. Unfortunately most of my older relatives are dead and those left have never seen them with hair. They were from Howth in Dublin and were sons of a fisherman. We have been told that they spent time in Scotland Salting Herrings and this caused hair loss. Would it be possible for somebody to age both men and remove their hair. I would be very grateful, as if it is them then this is the only photo of them with hair.
                                    With Thanks
                                                 Colm

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather George and his Brother
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Colm.

To help us to help you, could you do a couple of things, please.

Could you please scan just their heads and shoulders, and at a higher resolution (say 300 or 600 dpi). With the image as presented now, the faces pixellate so much that it is impossible to make repairs/clarification of the faces without being forced to “make it up”.

Secondly, could you please post pics of each of the men after they lost their hair. In digitally aging them it would be helpful to know whether they grew fatter or thinner with age. Also, there are some clever people on here who, after having studied thousands of portrait photos over many years, could probably offer some well informed opinions on whether or not the young men did become the oldsters.

Oh, and which two (of the three) are thought to be your grandfather and his brother?

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline collech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter. 
        Thank you for the reply, i will not be home until tomorrow. When i get home i will do as youhave asked. Is there any way i can clean the dirt off the photo without damaging it ? 
               Thanks
                     Colm

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 18 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't have the knowledge to advise on that, Colm. Some people on here would have, and may see your query. But with photos I think it's best to err on the side of caution, i.e., don't, unless you really know what you are doing.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Well, I have cleaned the photo a bit, but it is a very difficult one because of all the damage.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a play around to see what they could have looked like with no hair.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline collech

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sorry for the delay in replying. The Young man with the split in the middle of his hair I think is my grandfather. I m not sure which one of the other young men might be his brother. Of the older men the man without doubt is my grandfather and the other is his brother.
                                                    Thanks
                                                            Colm

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colm   I can't help you out with what you are asking for but I must comment that the man in the centre is a dead ringer for my father (whose family comes from county Kildare, not far from Dublin), surname McKay and I mean a dead ringer. I can tell you that if your relative is the man in the centre then the older men look nothing like the man in the centre aged (if I compare to my father). I will attach two photos of him to show you. By the way do you have McKay as a family name anywhere in your tree? PS Dad is aged 89 in this photo. May I ask which of the two men are your relatives?
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton