Author Topic: 1889 diary Cricket match analysis and drinking  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: 1889 diary Cricket match analysis and drinking
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:07 GMT (UK) »
You seem to have it  sorted Deskman - 'hire' seems possible now in context - and if you put a comma after 'fellows', it reads better so maybe he just didn't use much punctuation.     ;)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:12 GMT (UK) »
"...Last match in which Stuart Anthony & Bryan were the only two Culmington fellows. These two on their own responsibility hired a “pro” which will cost 10/- which the treasurer refuses to pay."
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:05 GMT (UK) »
"The other evening they had a great carpet beating here & afterward a “drunk" [/i]OR ”drink" on perry. I met 3 men staggering about – arm in arm on my way to..."

I suggested 'innings' rather than 'evening' in a vague attempt to sound crickety, but you're probably right :)
(Is carpet beating a traditional rustic entertainment?  My mother did it annually, but never for fun.)

I'll stick with "drunk" though.  'Going on a drunk' in my younger days meant an evening (or more) of dedicated imbibing; 'going for a drink' pales by comparison.  The image of '3 men staggering about - arm in arm' brings back memories of those heady days ;D

Carol (lately of more temperate habits!)

Added:  The number of up-and-down strokes also suggests 'u' more than 'i'.
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
"...Last match in which Stuart Anthony & Bryan were the only two Culmington fellows. These two on their own responsibility hired a “pro” which will cost 10/- which the treasurer refuses to pay."

That looks very plausible! Our writer does have a habit of scribbling down his thoughts with little or no punctuation.  :) Makes it fun for us, though!
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
(Is carpet beating a traditional rustic entertainment?  My mother did it annually, but never for fun.)

There is a vulgar usage of the term carpet beating which, despite being an Essex Girl, I am not going to go into detail on here  :-X;D
I have no idea if it was used back in the writer's days, though.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again everyone,

I now have this text
"Last match in which Stuart Anthony & Bryan were the only two Culmington fellows these two on their responsibility hire a “pro” which will cost 10/- which the treasurer refuses to pay. Im sorry for Anthony, The other evening they had a great carpet beating here & afterward a “drunk" on perry I met 3 men staggering about – arm in arm on my way to..."
what a difference!

There is punch line to the drinking
"...I was delighted to see them come to grief at the plank bridge over the brook. I don’t think Davies should have let them have so much. On my return about 10.30 nearly stumbled on one lying in orchard."

Thanks for posting the match reports from Culmington Winstanstow Journal  and Culmington Winstanstow News. Both titles are new to me.

The diary entry is dated 2nd August. The disastrous evening match against Winstanstow was on the Thursday 3rd. As this is the last para of the entry it would seem that it was the Winstanstow match and written about the 5th August. The next entry is dated 7th Aug.
The previous Culmington match was away on Saturday 27th July against Bedstone / Heath House. They lost by an innings and 19 runs, being the match with the pro?

Culmington had thrashed (aka a carpet beating?) Winstanstow away on 8th June 9 (but then Easton was playing).

Shall we pull stumps?

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:42 GMT (UK) »
and here's a good carpet beating game
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02qssyn

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
We don't know how good we have it these days..!

Interesting that I could open the link - we can't normally access the Beeb here.  ??? ;D

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting the match reports from Culmington Winstanstow Journal  and Culmington Winstanstow News. Both titles are new to me.

Sorry - that's just my own short titling of the two snippets. They are both from the Wellington Journal and Shrewsbury News
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk