Author Topic: Moses Prangnell, Hampshire  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Prangnell, Hampshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
A Moses PRAGNELL [sic] married a Sarah COOPER in West Dean on 7 Aug 1794, both of this parish, and a Sarah PRAGNELL daughter of Moses and Sarah née COOPER was baptised there on 29 Jun 1795, aged 3 days.  West Dean is immediately over the Wiltshire border, about 2 miles from Lockerley and 5 miles from Michelmersh.  I can't find any record of other children of Moses and Sarah in West Dean.  This may be explained by a Moses PRANGNEL [sic] who was buried in Whiteparish on 18 Jan 1795.  If so, Sarah was his posthumous child, but there was more than one Moses PRAGNELL and it seems more likely that the man who died was someone else.  Back in Hampshire, a Moses and Sarah have ten children baptised in West Tytherley between 1798 and 1823.  I'm inclined to believe this is the couple who married in West Dean as the dates fit and I can't find a suitable baptism in Hampshire.  They appear on the 1841 census for West Tytherley, both aged 65-69.  There are burials there for a Moses on 9 Nov 1844, aged 73 (so born 1770-71) and a Sarah on 5 Feb 1848, aged 75 (so born 1772-73).  I suspect Moses is the son of John PAGNELL baptised in West Tytherley on 10 Jan 1773.  Possibly your Moses is the eldest son of this Moses and Sarah, as it's slightly unusual for there not to be a son named after the father, and the dates fit reasonably well.  The Sarah who witnessed your Moses's marriage to Hannah WILTON could be either his mother or sister.

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 18 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone that has helped. Its so hard to know this far back if its the correct family. You have all definitely given me some more leads to look into.
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Poking my nose in on this, I have PRAGNELL's in my tree but have not really researched that line myself although the furthest back info I have is for Moses Pragnell being married to a Sarah Cooper.
He was born in 1773 and she in 1775.

They had three children James 1817, Harriett 1825 and George 1823.

As I said, I have not really researched them yet, I was merely looking through census etc.

Would any of these name match?

James married Jane KIMBER (1818) West Tytherley, marriage 12th April 1836.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg