Author Topic: Help Dating Photo Full of 1920s Fashion Clues Bartholomew family  (Read 646 times)

Offline MasMassive

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Dating Photo Full of 1920s Fashion Clues Bartholomew family
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 08:50 GMT (UK) »
This is a photograph of the Bartholomew family taken sometime in the 1920s.  Could one of you kind dating experts give me your best guess as to the date it may have been taken please?  It is a photograph of my great-grandparents with some of their children, taken in Wales between 1922 and 1927.  They were on holiday and normally resided in Liverpool (although 2 of the older girls lived in America and Argentina respectively).

I have tried to date it looking predominantly at the younger 2 children's dress (l-r number 3 and number 5).  In 1922 the girl would have been 13 and the boy 18.  She is not wearing a hat and he has no tie but he is wearing long trousers.  At what sort of age would they have been obliged to do so?

In addition we know their mother died in 1923 but nobody seems to be wearing mourning dress, so either this was before 1923 or had that tradition stopped by then?  My Great Grandfather is 7th from left and he died in 1927.

I would be terribly grateful for any suggestions or advice you care to give.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Help Dating Photo Full of 1920s Fashion Clues Bartholomew family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Impossible to get to any particular year except to say it's early-mid decade.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat MasMassive.

I think being able to narrow the photo down to between 1922 and 1927 is as good as you are going to get. Think of it this way - if I were to show you a photo taken in the last six years, do you think you would be able to tell, by looking at the fashions, if it was taken in 2012, 13, 14, 15,16, 17 or this year? :)

It is even impossible to give age estimates for the youngest two you pointed out. I would guess the girl could be anything from early to late teens and the boy late teens to early 20s, tending more towards the 20s as he has a confident stride (not like an awkward teenager).

Offline MasMassive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat MasMassive.

I think being able to narrow the photo down to between 1922 and 1927 is as good as you are going to get. Think of it this way - if I were to show you a photo taken in the last six years, do you think you would be able to tell, by looking at the fashions, if it was taken in 2012, 13, 14, 15,16, 17 or this year? :)

It is even impossible to give age estimates for the youngest two you pointed out. I would guess the girl could be anything from early to late teens and the boy late teens to early 20s, tending more towards the 20s as he has a confident stride (not like an awkward teenager).

LOL you are right, I'd never thought of it that way.  Nevertheless I'm plumping for 1922, as that fits with other key events, unless anyone comes back and tells me the skirt lengths were too short. 

Thanks for the reality check :D but most of all thank you for giving me some of your time and expertise.  This is how we newbies learn x

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 June 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
I realize this is an old post, but felt the need to fix it. Hope you enjoy!
I just like to do photo restores.