Author Topic: King family of Puttenham Surrey - daughter Lucy  (Read 1392 times)

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
King family of Puttenham Surrey - daughter Lucy
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear fellow researchers

I am looking for the parents of (baptismal records) Lucy King 1765-1824 who married the Master Mariner and Adventurer Robert William Eastwick (links to the Compton family and the East India Company). Most family tree sources I can find place her as the daughter of John King and Mary Budd of Puttenham Surrey, they married in Puttenham 4 Aug 1767 according to records and have all their family baptised in Puttenham after that date.

Lucy King and Robert William Eastwick have well-documented descendants, one of their son's being (Professor?) Edward Backhouse Eastwick b.1814 who is described as an Orientalist of Anglo-Indian background. I was wondering if perhaps Lucy's mother was Indian?

Any help would be appreciated

Felix
LEWIS, WOODCOCK, ALLWOOD, WITHERINGTON, ASH, CURTIS, WILLIAMSON, FANTOM, FREE, PARKER, MARROW, SHICKELL, ELLIOTT, REVELL, NEVITT, KNEVIT, WHITEMAN.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: King family of Puttenham Surrey - daughter Lucy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Where and when did Lucy King get married
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
17 dec 1796 in Calcutta.
LEWIS, WOODCOCK, ALLWOOD, WITHERINGTON, ASH, CURTIS, WILLIAMSON, FANTOM, FREE, PARKER, MARROW, SHICKELL, ELLIOTT, REVELL, NEVITT, KNEVIT, WHITEMAN.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
The Puttenham link is a bit tenuous   ???

Have you found any of the King family also out in Calcutta  or a reason why Lucy would be there  :-\

Did John King of Puttenham leave a will as that may name Lucy.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes I thought it was a little odd that she had been placed in the family tree of the Puttenham King family. The will of a Mary King 1817 states she was living with her daughter Lucy Eastwick, the will was witnessed by R W Eastwick. All this suggests is that Lucy's mother was Mary. The parentage of Lucy King may just have been a record that has been copied incorrectly many times. I can find a will of a John King in 1805 formerly of Red Lion Wharf Upper Thames Street in the city of London. It discusses his wife Mary King as being well provided for but really is incredibly difficult to decipher.

I will look further into the name King in Calcutta.

I have just seen the blog link you sent me and I think I will contact Julie Goucher, I have also ordered Robert William Eastwick's book so I hope that will give me some clues.

Thank you so much for your response to my query.

Felix

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I can find a will of a John King in 1805 formerly of Red Lion Wharf Upper Thames Street in the city of London. It discusses his wife Mary King as being well provided for but really is incredibly difficult to decipher.
This is probably a different John King. The will was written in December 1804, but John King was buried at Puttenham on 26 June 1803. The Puttenham burial register says he was 'of Farncomb in the parish of Godalming'. Best contact Julie, who may have done more work since posting the blog (4 years ago).

Offline zebelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bookbox

Thank you very much for looking at that, I have dropped Julie a line. I had looked at the will At Ancestry.com and saw that the probate date was 10 Jan 1805 but had missed the date of it being written but have now found it on the last page. Rookie error, another John and Mary King.

thanks again

Felix

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Let us know how you get on  :)