Author Topic: Medals  (Read 1220 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medals
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 February 18 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John, I'd seen that before and passed on it!

Annie - if John's post doesn't hit the spot for your context, give seaweed a bit of time to appear above the horizon and then perhaps PM to him, I've asked him to have a look

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 February 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I had already taken a look at this thread and felt there was nothing I could add. As already pointed out it is possible he was RNR but I cannot find any records for him. Maybe lost or destroyed.
It seems to me that he joined the RN at his own volition after serving in the MN previous to November 1915. That said, he has WW1 MN medals but I cannot find him in the 1915 on line Crew Agreements.
He may also have served prior to his RN service on a fishing vessel and may have been engaged on T124 articles. These documents are kept at the Memorial Univerity of Newfoundland, Maritime History Archive
 It may be worth taking a look but somehow I cannot see a Fisherman serving as an Officers Steward. I note he is ranked as "Coder" in 1918.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 February 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
He served on numerous MS vessels from 1912 including SS Morayshire, Ayrshire, Nairnshire which I've found on the Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists sailing mainly to Sydney. His last voyage before enlisting was on SS Essex which arrived in Sydney on 3 Aug 1915 and as I've previously said he enlisted in the Royal Navy on 15 Nov 1915 at Chatham. I think I've also found a Stanley G Burgess on the UK Naval Medal & Award Rolls with the Star, Victory & British medals But am unsure if this is the same man and also would he have been awarded both RN & MN medals?

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 February 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I have found him in the 1915 crewlists. He served on ss ESSEX and previously on NAIRNSHIRE. The man you point to in the medal roll is the same man.

In my opinion he is serving in the Royal Navy - not transferred, not in an RNR capacity (although he could certainly have been a member of same), not T124 agreement. He was entitled to both Merchant Navy and RN medals.

SG Burgess signed off ss ESSEX on 20/10/1915 at Liverpool.

Regards
Hugh 
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Beat me to it Hugh!
http://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/document/194807#&gid=1&pid=9
Number106 on the crew agreement
regards
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 February 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! Thank you so much both of you, I now have the full picture. It always amazes me that whatever the question someone out there always has an answer.
Once again many thanks
Annie