Author Topic: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test  (Read 5412 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
I did my DNA test and sent it in a month ago. Just had an email which says its going to be delayed because of high demand. This doesn't surprise me - infact, I half expected it. The email actually reads as if they haven't even started processing it but suggests I 'jump start' the 'discovery process' by putting a family tree on Ancestry. I don't know...

First, I've never been sure if I could do this without an Ancestry subscription but it reads as if I can. I assume this also means that I will also be able to access other people's trees who have tested, without a subscription?

Second, I've been wary of putting my tree on any site for all and sundry to see since a bad experience years ago with Genes Reunited. If I go ahead and put my tree on Ancestry via their DNA website, will it just be accessible to other DNA testers, or to everyone with a subscription, whether or not they have taken the DNA test?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
What you could do is start a tree with a few real or imaginary people and then see if people can see it.

(I have an account with Ancestry and would be willing to look for it if you do start it. I have not done a DNA test with Ancestry (mine were with ftDNA) so that would also answer the question as to whether people who have not done a DNA test with them can see it. Must admit I would be annoyed if people who do not have a subscription could see it, after all in that situation what would be the case of a subscription?)

I do have a tree on there but mine is private as I am still correcting it, and I don't need people telling bits are wrong when I already know that, and adding records. Perhaps you could start a tree and keep it private until you decide if you want to give access to all and sundry or just invited guests.

Finally it should answer your question in their onsite notes but good luck searching them!
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »

Must admit I would be annoyed if people who do not have a subscription could see it, after all in that situation what would be the case of a subscription?)

Except that you pay quite a lot for the DNA test in the first place so you could argue that that should enable access to the trees of other DNA testers. I suppose what it boils down to is this: are trees uploaded via the Ancestry DNA site 'separate' from those on the general Ancestry website? I'll have a look on their Q&A online but I've never had much luck navigating Ancestry, which is why I've never taken out a sub.

Thanks for the offer of looking to see if mine is there (if I do it!). I shall bear it in mind!
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »

Except that you pay quite a lot for the DNA test in the first place so you could argue that that should enable access to the trees of other DNA testers.

I strongly disagree with that, and it would stop me from taking a test with any site that did that.

What I can tell you if it helps is that on ftDNA you can put up a tree to link to your DNA results but you can control who has access to it, perhaps it may turn out that Ancestry is the same.

Good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
davidft,

I've put myself and my parents onto an Ancestry tree via their DNA website (I hope!).

Could you look to see if you can access it via the 'normal' Ancestry site please. I suspect that you will be able to. Its Russell family and my full name is Jillian Russell. Ta!

I've found a few helpful videos on Youtube so will work my way through them but something tells me I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put my full tree on there if I want to get my money's worth, true Yorkshire lass that I am!!

Still not sure if its worth the bother, though, if I can't access other's trees without having a sub.

You know, I've asked this basic question a few times now and no one seems to be able to answer it: DO YOU NEED AN ANCESTRY SUBSCRIPTION TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE TREES OF THE PEOPLE ON YOUR DNA RESULTS???

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think this link might answer your question:

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/AncestryDNA-with-an-Ancestry-Subscription-US-1460090085520-3160

I found it on Roberta Estes blog post "Which DNA Test is Best?" (from dna-explained.com)

C

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look and can not see it so far, but that could be because you have just uploaded it - not sure if there is a slight delay in seeing other peoples trees when they are created/updated.

Did find several other trees with the name you gave but you were not the owner of any of them.

I think the link Carmella gave helpfully goes a long way to answering your question ie you need a subscription  to view

Extra DNA features with a subscription

New Ancestor Discoveries
Find possible ancestors who aren't listed in your tree. When two or more of your DNA matches a) are DNA matches to you and to each other at a 2nd cousin level or further out; b) have public family trees attached to their DNA tests; and c) share a common ancestor (according to their trees), that common ancestor will appear to you in the form of a New Ancestor Discovery.

DNA Circles
Meet groups of relatives who likely descend from a common ancestor. A DNA Circle will form around an ancestor in your family tree if your tree is public and linked to your DNA test, and if two or more of your DNA matches are DNA matches to you and to each other at a 2nd cousin level or further out, have public family trees attached to their DNA tests; and share a common ancestor (according to their trees).

Shared Ancestor Hints
A shared hint is a common ancestor found in the linked family trees of both you and your DNA match; a shared ancestor hint can direct you to which ancestor you share with that match.

Matches’ trees
Access your matches' public family trees.
So if their trees are private you still won't see them.

Shared surnames and birth locations
View lists of shared surnames and birthplaces in your matches’ public trees.

Hope that helps

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both. So, neither public nor private trees are accessible to non subscribers.

Carmella's link was just what I wanted to know. I do think Ancestry should make all this clear from the start but then, as I've said, I've never found anything about Ancestry to be particularly clear. Equally, I can understand why I won't be able to access trees without a sub. I shall have to rely on emailing any connections and hoping they reply.

I won't bother going any further with my tree but would be interested to know if it shows up, davidft! Did you mean that my name shows up on some other trees? Interesting - but it could very well go all the way back to the 'chinese whispers' of the Genes Reunited era!

HELP!!!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 February 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Just had another look and still not there. It could be that as a new tree I don't see it (if at all) until after an overnight update. I shall look again tomorrow just in case that is the situation.

Re the name on the trees, they are the same as yours except two have a middle initial H and two have a middle name Marie. Both are deceased. Its also a name that comes up several times on marriages - that was the first page I saw when I did the search.