Author Topic: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test  (Read 5411 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, well   :-[ I've read the link, jonw65, but what does it mean? Practically? I'm going to all this trouble to add my tree but it won't be searchable unless I do what?  ???

I am beginning to remember why I never bothered with Ancestry before - everything seems to be clothed in mystery that only the chosen ones will understand!! It feels like I'm trying to enter a secret society and I don't have the right password!!

I like to think I'm a reasonably intelligent woman but I'm losing the will to carry on!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think it means that unless you are able to attach sources from ancestry to a person, then that person will not make it into the index.
Whether that's important re your possible DNA connections or not, I don't know. Probably not.
And of course you can have a private tree on there in any case.
But it's not like it used to be on ancestry. In the past you could build a quick tree and it would probably have been indexed within a few weeks or a month perhaps. Even without a sub.
Perhaps ancestry cannot cope with the sheer numbers any more.
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 17 February 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that you can use the FreeBMD records that are on ancestry to provide sources for 1837-1915

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 17 February 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure I want to play this silly game anymore..

so many of the trees on ancestry are so messed up - find the 'facts' that I will have so called cousins that really are NOT..

This drop down box ... business within my family mean that a lot of them travelled overnight from Hinckley Leicestershire to somewhere out in America.. and they really didnt believe me.

So who the heck is going to be telling me they are my cousins I do NOT KNOW.

I attempted to 'assist'   a really real 2nd cousin - along the correct route (or is that Rowt :) ) last year and she would not believe me - even with my Proof of BMD certs... cos they died in America.. not Hinckley Leics. aaaargh.. why cos she says so...

xin 

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 17 February 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm with you, Xinia.

I didn't already have a tree on Ancestry and have only put one on now because I want results from my DNA test. I've always found them pretty rubbish as well, when using them for 'ordinary' matching purposes but I suppose we both must have convnced ourselves that the DNA thing would bring better results.

So, I've input up to and including 5th ggrandparents, where I can but so far I've ignored this 'sourcing' stuff - basically, because there's nowhere on the screen asking for it so I assume it aint necessary. I may very well be wrong!

I'm now going to try and read up about the DNA tests seeing as how we appear to have to wait for a few more weeks yet for our results.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 17 February 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

at least we are in this together :)

ha ha

xin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:17 GMT (UK) »
;D

at least we are in this together :)

ha ha

xin

Yes! Mutual bamboozlement!!  ::)
HELP!!!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Well if you do want to add some sources from ancestry without a sub, you will have a chance at the weekend!
Free access to ancestry, 23-25 Feb
"Starting this Friday, we're giving you free access to all our UK and Irish records for three whole days"

No doubt there will soon be a thread on rootschat about this as well!
John

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Well if you do want to add some sources from ancestry without a sub, you will have a chance at the weekend!
Free access to ancestry, 23-25 Feb
"Starting this Friday, we're giving you free access to all our UK and Irish records for three whole days"

No doubt there will soon be a thread on rootschat about this as well!
John

John, you posted under

Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test -

which was nothing to do with Ancestry - Free Access  23-25 February - I don't check every thread so that heading didn't register - hence I raised a topic Ancestry - Free Access  23-25 February -
to try and be helpful to everyone.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada