Author Topic: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test  (Read 5411 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »

Sandra, The topic was about whether to make an ancestry tree, and how to make it searchable by adding Ancestry records, so not a totally different subject.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »

Sandra, The topic was about whether to make an ancestry tree, and how to make it searchable by adding Ancestry records, so not a totally different subject.

Regards Margaret

I agree - John was just trying to be helpful. He DID say someone would probably open a separate thread about the free access. perhaps you'd like to, Sandra?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 15:19 GMT (UK) »

Regards Margaret

I agree - John was just trying to be helpful. He DID say someone would probably open a separate thread about the free access. perhaps you'd like to, Sandra?

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=788279.msg6437778

Thread raised 13-43
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Remember that to show up in the index (eventually), names in your ancestry tree will have to be sourced.
http://www.geneamusings.com/2017/12/ancestry-member-trees-indexing-rules.html

Interesting link, I didn't realise that at all.

After careful consideration, I have now made my main tree private again, which it was prior to me getting my DNA results last year.  I downloaded an ancestry gedcom, imported it to my family tree programme, then set it to export a further gedcom. Starting with my daughter, showing all ancestors and siblings, but not the other people who keep on getting added to my rather large tree, which actually starts with my grandaughter, i.e. son in laws family.

Imported this much reduced gedcom back into ancestry and deleted daughter (best way to avoid any online privacy issues is not to have the information there in the first place, even as private).

Now I have a public tree attached to my husband's and my DNA results. It does have full sources included, even ones which ancestry has supplied, but since there are no attached records or ancestry sources, it should remain visible to my DNA matches only.

If it works, it will be a complete success.

Thanks John
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I've finished uploading my tree - no aunts, uncles etc, just the basic tree.

I still haven't actually taken out a sub with Ancestry so whatever little leaves I click on just take me to the 'join now' screen. I do get a list of matches from other trees but, again, can't access them without a sub.

As I've got the above, I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that my tree has been indexed and is available to Ancestry members?

Anyway, I've started reading the book on DNA & Genealogy which was recommended by someone on this thread (had to buy the book as I don't possess a kindle) and I must say, so far, its very accessible and reasonably easy to understand. Not that I'll be going for my PhD in Genealogy any time soon.........
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Free weekend coming up, you'll be able to rectify some of those green leaves  :)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 22 February 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Yep Split My main tree on Ancestry   ? how many trees are you allowed?

Anyhow for reasons of anyone possibly - interacting with any DNA results that I may get (eventually.......... ::)

I split my tree into two branches.. Pat and Mat .. :) 

less complicated for me.

however I didnt put any info or links just name dob etc..   and looking at them now they are showing odd links... hang on I will do a screen.shot....

xin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 23 February 18 03:57 GMT (UK) »
xin, not sure what is odd about the links, I have lots of them. Click on them and they will give you the information.

As for what to do when you and Jill get your results back, here is a link to the latest Lost Cousins newsletter.

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/latefeb18news.htm

Margaret

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 23 February 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I've never had a sub, have I think only 2 records I got from Ancestry on a free weekend on my tree, don't have a tree on Ancestry or anywhere online but I was given an Ancestry DNA test for Christmas and am waiting for the results, reading this thread I think the money spent on the gift may have been wasted.
I'm not going to do anything until the test result arrives and than I'll have a think what to do with it.
Interesting thread though, thanks.