Author Topic: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test  (Read 5411 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #54 on: Friday 23 February 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Can't understand how any true genealogist can think a dna test is wasted!

Okay so one can't afford/doesn't want a sub to Ancestry but you can upload a direct ancestor line with a link to the dna result.

Also whether or not you can see and make use of other people's dna results they can make use of yours.  If other people have a close match with you once your dna test results are available on ancestry (and you can't prevent that having submitted a test) then those people will be contacting you asking about names/places in your tree.  Communication can only help verify/discard those matches for all involved.

Pheno

Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #55 on: Friday 23 February 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
xin, not sure what is odd about the links, I have lots of them. Click on them and they will give you the information.

As for what to do when you and Jill get your results back, here is a link to the latest Lost Cousins newsletter.

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/latefeb18news.htm

Margaret

Thanks for the link, Margaret. I do get those newsletters, which are very helpful but up until taking the DNA Test, I hadn't really bothered to read his articles on DNA testing. Having read through it, I feel as though I can do this!!  ;D

I had an email from Ancestry a couple of days back to say they're now testing my sample and to allow 2-4 weeks before they email me with the results, so getting nearer!!

The Newsletter seems to be saying that we are more likely to identify more 'distant' cousins and that its a good idea to start at the 1841 census and research the siblings of our direct ancestors forward as far as possible, obviously throwing up many more surnames to identify (hopefully) from the results list.

I have usually researched who the siblings married and sometimes the names of their children but never gone further forward with these relatives.

Just wondering if others with DNA test results think this would be a fruitful exercise - or just making unnecessary work for myself? I can imagine the number of people involved if you start at 1841 and work all the way through to 1911 - and possibly 1939! Seems like a colossal job!

What do others think?

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Can't understand how any true genealogist can think a dna test is wasted!

Okay so one can't afford/doesn't want a sub to Ancestry but you can upload a direct ancestor line with a link to the dna result.

Also whether or not you can see and make use of other people's dna results they can make use of yours.  If other people have a close match with you once your dna test results are available on ancestry (and you can't prevent that having submitted a test) then those people will be contacting you asking about names/places in your tree.  Communication can only help verify/discard those matches for all involved.

Pheno

That's good to know I got the impression from this thread that without a tree there was no way to get matches on Ancestry. (I do realize you can upload the result to other sites)

I'd never call myself a 'true genealogist' I wouldn't even call myself a genealogist.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, I have always assumed those who make a large amount of posts and are classified as a marquessate to have real genealogical vibes as I have always thought that one must have a true interest to respond to others so readily.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, I have always assumed those who make a large amount of posts and are classified as a marquessate to have real genealogical vibes as I have always thought that one must have a true interest to respond to others so readily.

Pheno

Oh yes lots of interest and a little bit of knowledge at this stage. Clueless on the DNA stuff.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I thought this thread had explained things fairly well, and that as a general rule, the best results would be obtained by having both an ancestry subscription and an online tree.

But to call a DNA test without either as a complete waste of money, that is not what has been said or implicated, as far as I recollect without reading through everything again!

Your test is yours to do whatever you want to do with it. If you want to contact matches you can, and you can also see their basic trees. You can see your ethnicity, for what it worth.

You can download your DNA data and upload to other sites, where a subscription is not required. As has been said, you can help others if you do not want to do anything else with your results at all.

One 3rd cousin, previously unknown to me, exact descent unknown. From shared matches I know what line he is from, and he knows his grandmother's name.
Bingo, worked it out in a few minutes.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Jill, as for Peter Calver's suggestion to work from 1841 to 1881 census, following families through.

I tend to do this anyway, which is why my full tree is so big. I try and follow male siblings till the name runs out, female line for some 2 or 3 generations.

You are descended from 'Smith', your maiden name. Smith has a boy and a girl. Girl Smith marries Brown, girl Brown marries Jones.

You are looking for Smith matches, descendant of Jones is looking for Jones matches.

Unless one or other of you also knows about Brown, you won't know how you match.

So preferably enter as many names as you can.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Jill, as for Peter Calver's suggestion to work from 1841 to 1881 census, following families through.

I tend to do this anyway, which is why my full tree is so big. I try and follow male siblings till the name runs out, female line for some 2 or 3 generations.

You are descended from 'Smith', your maiden name. Smith has a boy and a girl. Girl Smith marries Brown, girl Brown marries Jones.

You are looking for Smith matches, descendant of Jones is looking for Jones matches.

Unless one or other of you also knows about Brown, you won't know how you match.

So preferably enter as many names as you can.

Margaret

Oh b---er!! I just knew that would be the right answer!! I've been trying - again - to follow the children of one of my biggest brickwalls, all born 1810-29 but most of them are as elusive as their father (see bottom of this post!). Great start! However, I think it makes sense to start with the 'brickwall' lines.

Sinann, You ARE a genealogist' Its just that some of us come over all humble and 'who me?' when ascribing an -ologist to our names!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I am all set up and waiting... how much longer.   :(   and then I have to go and get my brain out of the freezer ... oh dear

haven't read the latest posts will catch up 'espere'  /  Ojalá

xin