Author Topic: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test  (Read 5427 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 February 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. It could be that, trees without a sub are kept only for DNA purposes. Who knows? Complicated, isn't it?

I don't have a middle name - let alone an H - so not me, thank goodness.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 February 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Personally I can't see what you have to lose Jill.  I find that when going through my matches I am much more likely to make contact with someone who has got some semblance of a tree on the site (even if I can't see it) as it implies to me that they are at least interested in their genealogy even if they don't know much about it.
I assume someone with no tree has just done a fun test for their ethnicity and generally wouldn't follow up unless the relationship is guestimated as quite close or the surname is one I am interested in.
Putting up an outline tree just might get you some contacts.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 February 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Back to the old, old question though. Wouldn't I have to pay a sub for the privilege?
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 February 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I don't think so.  I assume you must have a username and an account in order to activate your dna test so I think that you can just add a tree to that account.

What you won't be able to do without a sub is to look at other people's trees but there's nothing to stop actual subscribers making contact with you if you have a bare bones public tree attached to your dna result.

Guess someone will put me right if this is not the case.  Apologies if I am getting this wrong - its just difficult as a subscriber to know what non-subscribers can do.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 February 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I do not have a subscription to Ancestry but I have a tree on there, I cannot see other tree's, public or otherwise. Also it must be noted,I have not signed up for Ancestry DNA, so not a complete answer to your question.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 February 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I take your point - even though I wouldn't be able to see other trees, anyone with an Ancestry sub who found a connection through our respective DNA tests WOULD be able to see mine and hopefully make contact. I say hopefully because, so far, according to davidft, my tiny tree hasn't made an appearance - and, yes, I did click on the button to link it to my DNA test.

Not sure I go along with your assertion, Pheno, that, just because someone hasn't put their tree on Ancestry, you should naturally assume that they're not a serious family historian. That seems a bit of a sweeping statement, if you don't mind me saying so.

yountug, I find that reassuring. I think I may well add some more to my tree once I've established that its actually shown up!

Just one more question - for peace of mind. I hope I'm right in thinking that, should I put my tree on Ancestry, no one other than me can make any alterations to it?

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 February 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
No one but the tree owner can make alterations to a tree, unless you have made provision for joint access.
The strange thing that I have noticed is that using google to search for a name sometimes throws up a link  to a ancestry tree. Just a snippet of information, sometimes a photo, but you cannot access further.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 February 18 06:48 GMT (UK) »
As someone with an ancestry subscription and also having had DNA tested, the owner of a previously private and now public tree, and also a husband who has tested who does not have a subscription, I can answer some of your queries.

First of all, if you make your tree private, nobody can see it unless you invite them to do so and if you make your tree public, everyone can see it.

If you attach your DNA results to yourself in your public tree, it will show a 7 generation (to 3G grandparents) pedigree view of your tree to all other matches who have a subscription so that you can see if a connection is likely, also a 10 generation list of your ancestral surnames. It will also show them your ethnicity, shared matches, map and locations.

If you attach your DNA results to yourself in a private tree, matches will be able to see your ethnicity and any shared matches with you.
If someone searches for surnames and places, you will come up as a match, also shared ancestor hints will show to other people, though they won't be able to see any details.

Without a subscription, the only information you will be able to see about other matches is their ethnicity and your shared matches, ie 4 to 6 cousins or closer with whom you share a match. You will be able to contact matches through their DNA page, but not through their home page.

So, I think the best advice might be to build your private tree in advance, when your results get back experiment with what you can see of others trees if they remain private, see what you can and can't do without a subscription.

To get the most out of ancestryDNA you need an ancestry subscription, my husband was offered a half price subscription after he sent his DNA off for testing.

Hope this helps
Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 February 18 07:05 GMT (UK) »

Don't forget, you can upload to other sites such as gedmatch and familytreeDNA, where you don't have to be a subscriber to see trees, surnames, places etc.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go