Author Topic: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test  (Read 5424 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 February 18 09:04 GMT (UK) »

Don't forget, you can upload to other sites such as gedmatch and familytreeDNA, where you don't have to be a subscriber to see trees, surnames, places etc.

Margaret
At FamilyTreeDNA one option is to make your tree visible to DNA matches only.

I have several trees at Ancestry, and all bar one are private.  The public one is connected to a DNA test, and it is a fairly simple pedigree w/o all the siblings and cousins.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Questions - Still undecided about creating a tree on Ancestry following DNA test
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 February 18 10:46 GMT (UK) »
jillruss

I had a look today and cannot see any trace of your tree which would seem to suggest that on the original site you cannot see trees on the DNA site. That seems wrong to me as that would mean Ancestry are effectively running two sites and not making it clear. If anyone with more/better knowledge could throw some light on this I would be grateful.

And thanks to sugarfizzle, I found your post earlier today very helpful.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 February 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I think trees are only able to be found in a search IF they have Ancestry records attached to them. 

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 February 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all.

Sugarfizzle - what a great help you are. You've answered so many of my questions and, who knows, maybe I will take out an Ancestry sub in due course if I find its the obvious way to go. I know they have a lot of W Yorkshire records which would be very helpful to my research.

In the meantime I will go ahead and input a few generations of my tree minus siblings and see what happens. I hadn't noticed if, doing it via the DNA website, it gives you the option between private and public but will have to take a good look.

I'm afraid I didn't understand your comment, hurworth, about trees only being found in a search 'if they have Ancestry records attached to them'???
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 February 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I think trees are only able to be found in a search IF they have Ancestry records attached to them. 

Not sure if that is correct, hurworth, though I may be wrong.

Jill you won't show up in search results as you are living, maybe the other people you have in your tree are as well?

Add someone who isn't still living, made up if you like, add a birth date, death date and an unusual name, post that person's details here and let's see if we can find them.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 February 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »

Not sure if that is correct, hurworth, though I may be wrong.

Jill you won't show up in search results as you are living, maybe the other people you have in your tree are as well?

Add someone who isn't still living, made up if you like, add a birth date, death date and an unusual name, post that person's details here and let's see if we can find them.

Margaret

Margaret, I think I'm going to award you the Brain of the Day Award!! It never occurred to my feeble one that I wouldn't show up because, contrary to my brain scan, I AM still alive!!! I have also put my parents on so could you try searching for Frederick John Russell born Medmenham, Bucks 17 Sept 1921. He is no longer with us.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 February 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Still no joy.

Is his death date added, if not, someone born 1921 won't automatically be shown as being deceased.
Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 February 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, I put his death date in! I'm not having a good day, am I? Or even a good week! I've put some more onto my tree but I can't figure out how to get beyond great grandparents as no little boxes are automatically popping up (like they were previously) and there doesn't appear to be anything else to click on to go further.

I am doing this via their DNA website but the url is for the main site:-   
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/119432124/family

And I still can't see anything asking me if I want it to be private or public!!

I think I might give up and bang my head against the wall now!!!
HELP!!!

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 February 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Jill, I can see you tree so that means it's currently public.  The pop-up boxes that have gone missing - I don't recall if I get them in tree view but I certainly do on each individual's profile page.  Make sure you're in the "facts" tab though, you don't get them from "hints".

Tree settings (public/private etc) are under "create & manage trees" from the menu near the top of the page (assuming you're on a computer rather than mobile device)

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON